MIRACULOUS SURVIVAL: Newborn baby weighing just ONE POUND survives heart surgery at two-weeks-old
A baby boy born at 28 weeks, weighing just over one pound at birth defied every odd set against him and miraculously survived heart surgery at two weeks old.
The newborn boy measured at the length of an adult palm. [Photo by: Cover Asia Press]
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The unnamed newborn, measuring the length of a palm, has become the world's tiniest baby to have successful heart surgery, according to the Daily Mail.
Upon birth, doctors discovered the boy had what is known as Patent Ductus Arteriousus, meaning two of his heart's major blood vessels were connected. His skin, eyes and lungs were all undeveloped and he could not be moved or extensively touched.
His team of doctors, including Dr. Sunil Jangid and Dr. Sanjay Gandhi, performed the unbelievable milestone surgery at Geetanjali Medical College and Hospital in Eklingpura, India.
The team of doctors used specialized surgical equipment during the surgery. [Photo By: Cover Asia Press]
"In this case, when the infant didn't respond to medicines, heart surgery was the last option," expressed Dr. Jangid. "Operating on an infant, especially when he is so tiny, is very challenging and risky as the body parts are extremely premature."
The hospital utilized special miniaturized surgical equipment to operate on the child.
"There were many risks involved like respiratory distress syndrome, brain/lungs internal bleeding, feeding intolerance, developmental problems," stated Dr. Gandhi.
Despite all the risks and all of the obstacles, the tiny baby boy survived. His father, only called S P Jain, explained his son's survival is "nothing short of a miracle."
"He is so brave that he has survived so many odds with such low weight. Our prayers have been answered."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
by Catholic Online
- Deportations of Christian immigrants has temporarily stopped
- St. Anthelm: Saint of the Day for Monday, June 26, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession
- Daily Readings for Monday, June 26, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD Video
- How close is NASA to announcing if aliens exist? VERY CLOSE. Here's why
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD
- St. Emma HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 24th, 2017 HD