In order to break the cycle of poverty, we must first start with the heart. Catholic Online School is something very special, providing FREE Catholic Education to anyone, anywhere. Learn more about the Catholic Online School
Help us create new hope with your donation. This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to support Catholic Online School. Support Catholic Online School
Start of Advent 2003
World Is in Great Need of Peace, Says John Paul II
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 30, 2003 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today before praying the Angelus with thousands of pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
1. Today is the beginning of the season of Advent, a time of spiritual renewal in preparation for Christmas. The voices of prophets resound in the liturgy, who announce the Messiah, inviting us to conversion of heart and to prayer. John the Baptist, the last and greatest of them all, cries out: "Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight!" (Luke 3:4), because he "will come to visit his people in peace."
2. Christ is coming, the Prince of peace! To prepare for his Nativity means to reawaken in ourselves and in the world the hope for peace. First of all, peace in hearts, which is built by putting down the weapons of rancor, of revenge and of every form of egoism.
The world is in great need of this peace! I am thinking especially, with profound sorrow, of the last episodes of violence in the Middle East and the African continent, as well as those in so many other parts of the earth reported in the daily news. I renew my appeal to the leaders of the great religions: Let us join forces to preach nonviolence, forgiveness and reconciliation! "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth" (Matthew 5:5).
3. In this Advent season of waiting and hope, the ecclesial community identifies more than ever with the Most Holy Virgin. May she, the expectant Virgin, help us to open our hearts to him who brings, with his coming among us, the priceless gift of peace to the whole of humanity.
[After praying the Angelus, the Holy Father greeted the pilgrims:]
Tomorrow is World AIDS Day, a sickness that, unfortunately, is still growing strongly, especially in the poorest countries. While I pray for those who are stricken by this scourge, I encourage all those in the Church who carry out an invaluable service of acceptance, healing and spiritual support towards these, our brothers and sisters.
I greet the Italian-speaking pilgrims, in particular the members of Sant'Egidio Community, who today, in contact with numerous cities of the world, are relaunching the international campaign against the death penalty.
I wish all a good Sunday.
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Holy See, 661 869-1000
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- St. Ado of Vienne: Saint of the Day for Saturday, December 16, 2017
- Commission recommends Church end priestly celibacy and confession to ...
- Australia asks Church to end celibacy and confession to fight child ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 HD Video
- Church reviews possible Catholic hospital mega-merger
- Daily Readings for Saturday, December 16, 2017
- Indonesia rejects law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 18th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way