Papal Address at Welcoming Ceremony
"Family Is Unique Institution in God's Plan"
VALENCIA, Spain, JULY 10, 2006 (Zenit) - Here is the address Benedict XVI delivered on Saturday morning at the Valencia-Manises international airport, during the welcome ceremony.
* * *
Mr. President of the Government,
My Brother Cardinals and Bishops,
Dear Brothers and Sisters:
1. With great joy I come today to Valencia, to the noble and much-loved land of Spain, which has given me so many grateful memories from my earlier visits for congresses and meetings.
2. I cordially greet all of you, those here present and all those following this ceremony through the communications media.
I am grateful to His Majesty King Juan Carlos for his presence, together with the Queen, and in particular I thank him for his words of welcome in the name of the Spanish people.
I express my respectful appreciation to the President of the Government and to the other national, autonomous-regional and municipal authorities. I am grateful for their cooperation in the organization of this Fifth World Meeting.
I greet with affection the Archbishop of Valencia, Monsignor Agustín García-Gasco, his auxiliary bishops, and the whole levantine Archdiocese for their warm welcome to this World Meeting. I know that in these days you are grieving with the families mourning their dear ones who were victims of a tragic accident, and are also close to the injured.
My affectionate greeting also goes to the president of the Pontifical Council for the Family, Cardinal Alfonso López Trujillo, and to the other cardinals, the president and members of the Spanish episcopal conference, the priests, the consecrated persons and all the lay faithful.
3. My reason for this long-awaited visit is to take part in the Fifth World Meeting of Families, whose theme is "The Transmission of Faith in the Family." I wish to set forth the central role, for the Church and for society, proper to the family based on marriage. The family is a unique institution in God's plan, and the Church cannot fail to proclaim and promote its fundamental importance, so that it can live out its vocation with a constant sense of responsibility and joy.
4. My venerable predecessor, a great friend of Spain, the beloved John Paul II, convoked this Meeting. Prompted by the same pastoral solicitude, tomorrow I will have the privilege of concluding it with the celebration of Holy Mass in the City of Arts and Sciences.
In union with all taking part, I will implore from the Lord, through the intercession of our Most Holy Mother and the Apostle Saint James, plentiful graces for the families of Spain and of the whole world.
May the Lord abundantly bless all of you and your beloved families!
Original text: Spanish; translation issued by the Holy See.
© Copyright 2006 - Libreria Editrice Vaticana [adapted]
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope Benedict XVI - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Pope, Benedict, Family, Address, Valencia, Spain
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Sunday, February 25, 2018
- 'Living Lent': Sunday of the Second Week of Lent - Day 12
- St. Tarasius: Saint of the Day for Sunday, February 25, 2018
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 25th, 2018 HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Second Week of Lent - Day 13
- 'Living Lent': Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent - Day 14
- The Biblical Seal of Isaiah has been found! HD Video
- The Tragic Reason Mass Shootings Happen, and it's NOT the guns HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, February 24th, 2018 HD
- Spiritual Warfare and the Help of Angels HD
- St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education