Start of Advent
Time to Contemplate Christ in the Eucharist, Says Pope
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 29, 2004 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today before praying the midday Angelus with pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.
* * *
1. Today, the first Sunday of Advent, a new liturgical year begins, during which we will contemplate with particular fervor the face of Christ present in the Eucharist. Jesus, Incarnate Word, dead and risen, is the center of history. The Church adores him and discovers in him the ultimate and unifying meaning of all the mysteries of faith: the love of God that gives life.
2. In Italy, precisely in these days, preparation begins for the 24th National Eucharist Congress, which will take place in Bari from May 21-29, 2005. "Without Sunday, We Cannot Live" is the theme of this important ecclesial meeting that, by providential coincidence, gives even greater prominence to the Year of the Eucharist. I invite the ecclesial community of Italy to prepare itself with great care for this spiritual event, to "rediscover with new intensity the meaning of Sunday: its 'mystery,' its celebration, its significance for Christian and human life" (apostolic letter "Dies Domini," No. 3).
3. May Mary Most Holy, "Eucharistic Woman" and Virgin of Advent, help us to receive with joy the Christ who comes, and to celebrate worthily the sacramental presence of the Eucharistic mystery.
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Advent, Pope, Christ, Eucharist, Angelus, Prayer
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Featured Today
- Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
- My Dad
- A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
- John Paul II as an Apostle of Mercy
- Embrace every moment as sacred time
- A Recession Antidote
- The Why of Jesus' Death: A Pauline Perspective
- Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
- Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
- Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
Sts. Andrew Kim Taegon, Paul Chong Hasang, and Companions
September 20: Feastday: September 20 The evangelization of Korea began ... Read More