Howard Dean to speak at a Catholic university!
By Matt Abbott
Loyola University Chicago on Sept. 1 will host former Vermont Gov. and Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean, who will speak “on the implications of the 2004 presidential election, an event sponsored by the Student Activities Fund and the College Democrats,” according to the university’s website, www.luc.edu.
Dean, an avowed proponent of abortion and homosexual marriage, is not the first public figure with views in opposition to Catholic teaching to be invited to speak at the Jesuit Catholic institution.
In September 2003, pro-abortion civil rights activist Jesse Jackson spoke at the university.
In October 1999, radical pro-abortion feminist Gloria Steinem gave a lecture there. Her appearance was picketed by supporters of the Chicago-based Pro-Life Action League, (www.prolifeaction.org).
In March 1998, Herb Moses, the “partner” of openly homosexual Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), gave a presentation there. The event was sponsored by student groups, including the College Democrats and the Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Alliance (GLABA).
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ recent document titled “Catholics in Political Life” states that “the Catholic community and Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions” (original emphasis).
politics, abortion, Catholic, Abbott
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Featured Today
- Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
- My Dad
- A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
- John Paul II as an Apostle of Mercy
- Embrace every moment as sacred time
- A Recession Antidote
- The Why of Jesus' Death: A Pauline Perspective
- Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
- Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
- Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience