This archdiocese comprises the western part of the Republic of Haiti. Its population numbers about 668,700, mostly Catholics, the greater part of whom have but a slight knowledge of their religion, and are scattered over a surface of about 3080 sq. miles. The archdiocese was created by the Bull of 3 June, 1861, and has ever since had a clergy almost exclusively French. In the eighteenth century the territory of the present archdiocese was served by the Dominicans, and after the French Revolution was left in the hands of unworthy clergy, who were driven out after the Concordat of 1860. The archdiocese has had five archbishops : Mgrs, Testard du Cosquer (1863-69); Guilloux (1870-85); Hillion (1886-90); Tonti (1894-1902); Conan (1903). In January, 1906, Most Rev. Julian Conan held the first provincial council of Haiti whose acts were approved by the Congregation of the Council, 3 August, 1907. Fourteen diocesan synods have also been held and their acts and statutes have regularly been published. The seminary for senior students is in France (St. Jacques, Finistère), and there is a seminary-college at Port-au-Prince directed by the Fathers of the Holy Ghost with 500 pupils. About an equal number of boys receive their instruction at the Institution St. Louis de Gonzague, kept by the Brothers of Christian Instruction. There are two secondary establishments for girls: Ste Rose de Lima directed by the Sisters of St. Joseph de Cluny, and Notre Dame du Sacré-Cœur, directed by the Filles de la Sagesse. The province has a monthly religious bulletin published at Port-au-Prince. Archbishop Guilloux has left a valuable work for the history of the archdiocese and of the province, "Le Concordat d'Haiti, ses résultats", a pamphlet of twenty-eight pages relating to the origin of the different diocesan works. The metropolitan church has honorary canons, not constituting a chapter, and named by the archbishop. The archdiocese (1911) has 24 parishes, 140 rural chapels ; priests, 55 secular, 42 regular; 67 Brothers of Instruction; 192 sisters.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed between 1907 and 1912 in fifteen hard copy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online