Located on the Malabar Coast, India. This vicariate forms part of the territory of the ancient Church of Malabar, which was founded by St. Thomas and was governed by Syro-Chaldean bishops until the end of the sixteenth century. In 1600 the Portuguese authorities substituted Latin for the Syro-Chaldean bishops, and from this date until 1887 the Syro-Chaldean Catholics remained under the jurisdiction of the Latin bishops of Verapoly and Cranganore and, on the suppression of that see, of Goa. By the Brief "Quod jampridem" of 20 May, 1887, Leo XIII separated the churches of the Syrian Rite on the Malabar Coast from the Latin churches, and, while leaving the latter under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Verapoly and the Bishop of Cochin, erected the Syrian churches into two vicariates Apostolic for Northern and Southern Malabar, styling them the Vicariates of Trichur and Kottayam and declaring them independent of the jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical province of Verapoly. By the Brief "Quæ rei sacræ" of 28 July, 1896, a new division of the territory was effected; namely, into the three Vicariates of Trichur, Ernakulam, and Changanacherry, Kottayam being thus suppressed. On 29 August, 1911, however, Pius X, by the Decree "In Universi Christiani" restored the Vicariate Apostolic of Kottayam for the section of the Syro-Malabar Christians known as the Suddhists, and it now includes all the Suddhist churches and chapels in the vicariates of Ernakulam and Changanacherry. The vicar Apostolic is the Right Rev. Mary Matthew Makil, D.D., Bishop of Tralles (b. on 27 March, 1851; consecrated on 25 Oct., 1896), who was transferred from Changanacherry by the Brief "Magni momenti" of 13 August, 1911. The latest statistics for the vicariate show: 1 bishop ; 30 (secular) priests ; 12 seminarists; 19 sisters in 2 convents ; 3 secondary schools for boys and 2 for girls; 35 parochial schools ; 2 boarding schools ; 1 orphanage ; 29,530 Catholics.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed between 1907 and 1912 in fifteen hard copy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online