(D E T ULANCINGO ).
Diocese in the Mexican Republic, suffragan of Mexico. Its area is about 8000 square miles, that is to say, almost that of the State of Hidalgo, in which the diocese is situated. It comprises the greater part of the State of Hidalgo, with the exception of a few parishes situated in the western part, and which belong to the Archbishopric of Mexico; but in return it has a few parishes in the State of Vera Cruz. Its population is 641,895 (1910). The bishop lives in the town of Tulancingo (population, 8000), although the capital of the state is the important mining town of Pachuca, situated 7962 feet above the level of the sea, with a population of about 38,620 inhabitants (1910). The Gospel was first preached in this territory in the first half of the sixteenth century by the Franciscan Fathers shortly after their arrival in Mexico; they then founded a convent at Tulancingo, whose first guardian was the venerable Father Juan Padilla , who died from the results of an assault made by the unfaithful Indians of New Mexico. The Augustinian Fathers also worked in this region.
On 16 March, 1863, Pius IX made this see suffragan of the Archbishopric of Mexico. When created, many asked that the episcopal see be in the city of Huejutla; preference was given, however, to the city of Tulancingo. This new see was formed from thirty-eight parishes of the Archbishopric of Mexico, and from sixteen taken from the Bishopric of Puebla. It has 1 seminary with 40 students; 39 parochial schools ; 5 Catholic colleges, and about 2352 students; there are 6 Protestant colleges with 255 students, and 6 Protestant churches. The town of Tulancingo existed long before the conquest; it is said to have been founded by the Toltecas in A.D. 697 and bore the name of Tollantzinco. Its most noted building is the cathedral, built in the beginning of the nineteenth century.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed between 1907 and 1912 in fifteen hard copy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online