Congregation of the Servants of the Most Blessed Sacrament
An order of nuns, founded by the Venerable Pierre-Julien Eymard in 1858, assisted by Mother Margaret of the Blessed Sacrament , with the authorization of Mgr Morlot, Archbishop of Paris. A Decree of Pius IX (21 July, 1871) canonically erected it into a religious congregation, and on 8 May, 1885, Leo XIII approved the constitutions. The aim of the society is to render "before all else solemn and perpetual adoration to Our Lord Jesus Christ , abiding perpetually in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar for the love of men". "The Congregation of the Servants of the Most Blessed Sacrament devote themselves with all their souls and all their strength to propagate this same worship of adoration and love in the world, especially by means of 'The People's Eucharistic League' in the way that was erected by a Rescript of August 2, 1872 (Bishops and Regulars), by Retreats of Adoration, and the work of the worship of Jesus Christ "; that is, by work for poor churches, as well as by catechetical instruction to children and to poor or ignorant adults. Each sister is required to make three adorations in the twenty-four hours, of which two are in the day and one at night. The Divine Office is said in choir. The community is contemplative and cloistered. The mother-house is at Angers, France. The congregation has houses at Lyons ( France ), founded 29 June, 1874; Paris, founded 1 May, 1876; Binche (Belgium), founded 17 November, 1894. In October, 1903, at the request of Mgr Labrecque, Bishop of Chicoutimi, a house was established at Chicoutimi on the banks of the Saguenay. The first exposition took place on 22 October, 1903, in the chapel of the Sisters of Good Counsel, who for several months extended hospitality to the newly-arrived community. On 25 March, 1906, it took possession of a new convent and on 18 June, 1909, the chapel of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus was consecrated. Canada has now its novitiate. The community numbers thirteen professed of the perpetual vows, and fifteen novices.
More Catholic Encyclopedia
Browse Encyclopedia by Alphabet
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Browse the Catholic Encyclopedia by Topic
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online