Prefecture Apostolic in Peru. Though the section of Peru lying on the eastern side of the Andes was comprised in the Dioceses of Ayacucho, Chachapoyas, Cuzco, and Huánuco, yet there were many pagan Indian tribes, formerly evangelized by the Jesuits, living outside of the sphere of civilization, roaming through the forests subject to no laws. Moved by their pitiable condition the Peruvian bishops, with the approval of the Government, requested the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda , towards the close of the nineteenth century, to interest itself in their evangelization. As a result by a Decree of Propaganda, on 5 February 1900, the uncivilized eastern portion of the state known popularly as "la Montaña", was divided into three prefectures Apostolic depending directly on Propaganda, that of San León del Amazonas being the most northerly. It comprises the regions drained by the Río Marañón and the Amazon with their tributaries, except the Ryo Ucayaly, and extends to the frontiers of Ecuador, Colombia, and Brazil. To prevent controversies as to jurisdiction, which might arise with the existing sees, the mission territory, by the wording of the Decree of erection is to be coextensive with the uncivilized portions of the older dioceses. As the Indians are nomadic the missionaries have first, by teaching them the rudiments of agriculture, to overcome their wandering habits, and then strive to inculcate the fundamental truths of Christianity ; but frequently when success seems to be crowning their efforts the savages yield to their roving instincts, and take again to their forest life. The mission, which is supported partly by the Government but chiefly by the Society of the Propagation of the Faith in Eastern Peru, is entrusted to the Augustinians and contains four priests, who depend directly on their father general. The superior, R. P. Paulín Diaz, resides at Iquitos; there are stations also at Peba and Puento Melander. Another was established at Huabica in 1903, but six months later it was destroyed by the Indians and the missionary martyred. (See PEBA INDIANS.)
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed between 1907 and 1912 in fifteen hard copy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online