Church Documents on Priestly Formation
Second Vatican Council Documents
- Decree on Priestly Training (Optatum totius) (1965)
- Decree on the Ministry and Life of Priests (Presbyterorum ordinis) (1965)
- Pope Paul VI, Encyclical Letter on the Celibacy of Priests (Sacerdotalis coelibatus) (1967)
- Pope John Paul II, Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on the Formation of Priests in the Circumstances of the Present Day (Pastores dabo vobis) (1992)
- Pope John Paul II, Encyclical Letter Veritatis splendor (1993)
- Pope John Paul II, Apostolic Letter on Reserving Priestly Ordination to Men Alone (Ordinatio sacerdotalis) (1994)
- Pope John Paul II, Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on the Consecrated Life and its Mission in the Church and in the World (Vita consacrata) (1996)
- Pope John Paul II, Encyclical Letter on the Relationship between Faith and Reason (Fides et ratio) (1998)
Other Documents of the Holy See
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education, .The Study of Philosophy in Seminaries. (1972) [Origins 1:39 (March 16, 1972) 655-659*]
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education, .A Guide to Formation in Priestly Celibacy. (1974) [Origins 4:5 (June 27, 1974) 65-76*] (excerpts)
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education, .The Theological Formation of Future Priests. (1976) [Origins 6:11 (September 2, 1976) 173-190*]
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education, .Instruction On Liturgical Formation in Seminaries. (In ecclesiam futurorum) (1979)
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education, .Circular Letter concerning Some of the More Urgent Aspects of Spiritual Formation in Seminaries. (1980) [Origins 9:38 (March 6, 1980) 610-619*]
- Congregation for Catholic Education, .Guide to the Training of Future Priests concerning the Instruments of Social Communication. (1986)
- Congregation for Catholic Education, .The Virgin Mary in Intellectual and Spiritual Formation. (1989)
- Congregation for Catholic Education, Instruction Inspectis dierum, .On the Study of the Fathers of the Church in the Formation of Priests. (1989) [Origins 19:34 (January 25, 1990) 549-561*]
- Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, .Directives on Formation in Religious Institutes. (1990)
- Congregation for Catholic Education, .Directives Concerning the Preparation of Seminary Educators. (1993) [Origins 23:22 (January 27, 1994) 557-571*]
- Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, .Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism. (1993), especially 192-195
- Congregation for Catholic Education, .Directives on the Formation of Seminarians Concerning Problems Related to Marriage and the Family. (1995) [Origins 25:10 (August 10, 1995) 161-167*]
- Congregation for Catholic Education, .Instruction to the Episcopal Conferences on the Admission to Seminary of Candidates Coming from Other Seminaries or Religious Families. (1996)
- Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, .Circular Letter to the Most Reverend Diocesan Bishops and other Ordinaries with Canonical Faculties to Admit to Sacred Orders concerning: Scrutinies regarding the Suitability of Candidates for Orders. (1997)
- Interdicasterial Instruction Ecclesiae de mysterio, .On Certain Questions Regarding the Collaboration of the Non-Ordained Faithful in the Sacred Ministry of Priests. (1997)
- Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, .Inter-Institute Collaboration for Formation. (1999)
- Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, .Starting Afresh from Christ: A Renewed Commitment to the Consecrated Life in the New Millennium. (2002)
- Congregation for Catholic Education, .Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders. (2006)
* All articles from Origins are made available with the explicit permission of Origins: CNS Documentary Service and are for the express purpose of providing information to seminary faculty and administrators. They are not intended for downloading or distribution. Further inquiries into the availability of these documents should be directed to Origins: CNS Documentary Service http://www.originsonline.com/.
Vocations & Priestly Formation | Â© USCCB. All rights reserved.
Latest Vocation News
Irish priest, Fr. Ray Kelly has an adaptation of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' that will move you to tears. The video, which has gone viral, ... continue reading
Fifty percent of friends and family discourage vocation calls - 200 men and women chose God anyway Watch
There were 216 Catholic women and men religious who took perpetual vows in the U.S. in 2016, and an annual survey has aimed to take their ... continue reading
Everyone, but especially consecrated men and women, Pope Francis said Thursday, are called to be leaven in the world, bringing Christ to ... continue reading
Why are so many people forsaking or eschewing religious life? This is the question Pope Francis addressed during the plenary meeting of the ... continue reading
A fresh and courageous perspective is needed when it comes to helping youth discern and discover their vocation, Pope Francis said ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- St. John Theristus: Saint of the Day for Friday, February 24, 2017
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, February 24, 2017
- Atheist teacher accuses Christian students of harassment for inviting ...
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South ...
- Why are there more Muslims than Christians in Britain's religious ...
- London's famed 'actors' church' reveals marvelously beautiful new ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, February 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, February 24th, 2017 HD
- Scientists predict Biblical flood for California HD
- New pilgrimage route recreates Jesus' footsteps HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.