Abbot and soldier; born in Laudun, Poitou, France, also called Adelelmus and Lesmes. Aleaunie chose a military career, going on duty before making a pilgrimage to Rome. During this journey he met St. Robert and was converted to the religious life, becoming a Benedictine. Queen Constance of Castile, impressed with his holiness, invited Aleaunie to Burgos, Spain. There King Alfonso IV built him a monastery. Aleaunie became abbot of the new foundation, but when the Moors fought against the king, Aleaunie used his prior skills and joined in the war. After his death, Aleaunie, called Lesmes in Spain, became a patron of the city of Burgos.
Saint Feast Days by Month
One of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales. He was born at Dufton, at Westmoreland, England, and studied at Oxford. Becoming a Catholic in 1576, he went to Reims and received ordination in 1581. ... continue readingMore Saint of the Day
"Jesus loved Martha and Mary and Lazarus." This unique statement in John's gospel tells us of the special relationship Jesus had with Martha, her sister, and her brother. Apparently Jesus was a frequent guest at Martha's home in Bethany, a small village two miles from ... continue readingMore Female Saints
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank. St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we ... continue reading
St. Gabriel is an angel who serves as a messenger for God to certain people. He is one of the three archangels. Gabriel is mentioned in both the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible. First, in the Old Testament, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his ... continue reading
Saint Christopher is one of the most popular Catholic Christian heroes of the Faith. He is a saint, indeed listed as a martyr. He may have also been named Reprobus. He apparently died under the Roman Emperor Decius, in 251 AD. Most Catholics refer to him as Saint ... continue reading
By Deacon Keith Fournier
Father, raise up women like Catherine of Siena for this new missionary age of your Church. Women who are so in love with you, and so conformed to the Image of your Son, they can do for your Church in this hour, what she did in her own. Saints are a gift for the ... continue readingMore Christian Saints & Heroes
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, July 24, 2017
- We all have EVIL in us!: Pope Francis makes strong statement ...
- 'Social Cleansing': Is Philippines President Duterte guilty of human ...
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Why are all these Catholic women coming to New Mexico?
- St. John Boste: Saint of the Day for Monday, July 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD