The Secret at St. Gabriel's
contemporary artists who love these ignored qualities. For me this is a story that I love and artists always want to paint what they love. So, perhaps those who see it find it refreshing to have their interests taken seriously.
Q. How did you feel when the composer Richard Nye contacted you to say he had written a work around your Annunciation?
A.I was flabbergasted. What a touching thing for an artist to see that other artists are also moved by his work, make new works of their own, and the Lord is honored by these new children of his own painting.
I am very happy that my agent John Bergstrom at www.hillstream.com is responding to the interest in this piece and is about to publish signed prints.
Q.I hear Fr. Greg Kelly at St. Gabriels wasn’t so sure about where the painting should go?
A.Yes, I know it is very different from what one might expect after seeing other Annunciations but to me it is really very traditional. I am used to seeing Renaissance works where the three kings are dressed to look like 16th century Italian nobles. This is just a modern application of the same idea.
Q.Tell me how you work. Do you sell in Galleries?
A.No, not yet. Virtually all my art is made as a commission. A Pastor of Art Committee member will call me and ask it I am interested in making a piece for their parish. They tell me their ideas and together we come up with a concept that suits the needs of that individual parish.
Q.You are the sculptor of the National Catholic Memorial at Ground Zero in New York City?
Yes, I was very honored to have had a part in that memorial.
Q. Have you always been a Catholic?
A.No, my wife and I are in RCIA right now. For most of our lives we were Evangelicals in a little denomination called the Free Methodist Church. We love those people and even today, they are among our best friends. Later we became Episcopalian for about fourteen years. During all this time we have felt a nagging in our hearts to investigate the Catholic Church and after a few false starts, we are almost there.
If you would like to see the Annunciation painting and other works by John Collier, please go to WWW.hillstream.com or http://www.hillstream.com/annunciation.html
Karl & Kimberly Erickson
http://www.hillstream.com OR, 97302 US
Karl Erickson - Author and Essayist, 503 378-7899
Annunciation, Art, Painting, Catholic, Mary, Gabriel, Religious Art, Christian , Church
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary
- My Battle Against Hitler Blog Book Tour
- Hildebrand and the Third Reich
- Pray the rosary with your Sisters
- Something Other Than God nominated for Best Memoir & Autobiography in Goodreads 2014 Choice Awards