Seven Days of Musical Heaven
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 22-28, 2009 (Monday noon through Sunday morning)
Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois
Sponsored by the Church Music Association of America
AUBURN, AL (MAY 18, 2009) - You are invited to sing with and experience the Sacred Music Colloquium, the largest and most in-depth teaching conference and retreat on sacred music in the world.
Gregorian Chant and its direct descendent, sacred polyphony, have been called the most beautiful music this side of Heaven. But as Pope Benedict XVI and the Second Vatican Council have emphasized, they are also an integral to Catholic liturgical life and should be heard and experienced with wide participation in every parish. The Church Music Association of America is working to bring about this ideal with its Sacred Music Colloquium.
Attendance is open to anyone interested in improving the quality of music in Catholic worship. Professional musicians will appreciate the rigor, while enthusiastic volunteer singers and beginners new to the chant tradition will enjoy the opportunity to study under an expert faculty.
Francis Cardinal George, O.M. I., will be the celebrant at Wednesday’s 10:00am Mass, which is a great honor for the CMAA and all attending. All Masses will be in Loyola’s newly renovated Madonna Della Strada Chapel, and served by the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.
Chant and polyphony rehearsals will be led by internationally known conductors Scott Turkington, Dr. Horst Buchholz, Wilko Brouwers, and Dr. William Mahrt, CMAA President. The conference will also feature lectures by Dr. William Mahrt, Rev. Frank Phillips, S.J.C., and Jeffrey A. Tucker.
For more information and to register for this life and liturgy-changing event, go to www.musicasacra.com/colloquium or call program director Arlene Oost-Zinner at (334)444-5584
Church Music Association of America
http://www.musicasacra.com/colloquium AL, 36830 US
Arlene Oost-Zinner - Director of Programs, 334 4445584
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RealOptions Presents Rachel’s Vineyard Retreats
- Angels and Saints at Ephesus again No. 1 on Billboard’s Classical Traditional Music Chart
- The CatholicTV Network to air Feature on the Fine Arts Summer Academy
- The CatholicTV Network to air Ordinations to the Priesthood for the Archdiocese of Boston
- Live Web Event with Scott Hahn
- New Book by IPS Brings together Psychologists, Theologians and Philosophers to 'Build the Bridge'
- Remembering Fr. Kapaun and all our fallen heroes on Memorial Day
- First U.S. Publisher to Speak at Canadian Catholic Schools Convention
- IPS Press Announces Last Book from the Late Benedict Ashley, O.P. A Culmination of His Life's Work
- Human cloning for stem cells remains unethical, impractical and dangerous