Chant and Polyphony Workshop, Auburn, Alabama
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AUBURN, AL (DECEMBER 26, 2007) - Gregorian chant and sacred music of the Renaissance are making a huge comeback in Catholic parishes. An annual workshop at a parish in the Archdiocese of Mobile has been leading the way.
Join the St. Cecilia Schola in Auburn, Alabama, for its 2008 sacred music workshop at St. Michaels in Auburn, Alabama, February 1-2. It is the 5th annual workshop, with attendance rising year after year.
This practicum shows how you can take part in the revival of sacred music in your parish. It provides a practical introduction for directors of music, singers in parish choirs, parents and teachers who want to teach chant to children, or anyone who is curious about the sound and solemnity of truly sacred music.
The guest conductor this year is Wilko Brouwers of the Monteverdi Choir in the Netherlands and one of the finest Catholic Church musicians in the world. A native of the Netherlands, he studied choral conducting at the Music Academy of Arnhem and the Liszt Academy in Budapest, and is the director of the Ward Center Holland, an institute for music education. He has conducted the Monteverdi Kamerkoor Utrecht since 1989, a group which performs in the Netherlands and abroad, has made recording and earned top honors in the Dutch Choir Festival’s mixed choir category in 1997 and 2000. He also directs the Strijps Kamerkoor, the Kinderkoor Keysershoff, and plays the organ for Saint Christopher Church in Waalre.
The workshop begins on Friday morning. This day will focus on chant, and runs from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Saturday then picks up with polyphony and continues throughout the day. It concludes with a parish liturgy that will use all that we have learned. The entire program is designed for singers with some musical background (which means the ability to read music).
In particular, sessions on will work through the selected Ordinary Chant and Propers for Sunday. These chant gaining new attention, given recent Vatican statements favoring more chant, polyphony, and solemnity in liturgy. The polyphony workshop will focus on the music of Palestrina, Tallis, Vitoria, and Di Lasso.
The cost of the entire workshop is $75 per person. You can register online at www.ceciliaschola.org.
St. Cecilia Schola Cantorum
http://www.ceciliaschola.org/workshop AL, US
Jeffrey Tucker - director, 334 703.0884
music, liturgy, chant,
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary
- My Battle Against Hitler Blog Book Tour
- Hildebrand and the Third Reich
- Pray the rosary with your Sisters
- Something Other Than God nominated for Best Memoir & Autobiography in Goodreads 2014 Choice Awards