Maryknoll Magazine and the Maryknoll Sisters
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARYKNOLL, N.Y. (NOVEMBER 9, 2007) – MARYKNOLL magazine, celebrating 100 years of publication, will wind up a year of commemorative events on Dec. 2 with a presentation of the liturgical drama Certain Women at the Maryknoll Sisters Center in Ossining, N.Y. The play is based on the lives and deaths of the four U.S. churchwomen who were martyred in El Salvador 27 years ago.
On December 2, 1980, Maryknoll Sisters Maura Clarke and Ita Ford, Ursuline Sister Dorothy Kazel and lay missioner Jean Donovan were raped, murdered and buried in a shallow grave in El Salvador. All had devoted their lives in service to the poor and oppressed in that country during the brutal civil war that claimed the lives of more than 75,000 Salvadorans at the hands of their own government.
The play which incorporates dialogue, music and audience participation was written by Gloria Ulterino and Marilyn Catherine. The authors chose the title “Certain Women” based on a reference in the Gospel of St. Luke to the women who followed Jesus from Galilee just as the four churchwomen followed Jesus to Central America. It will be performed by “Women of the Well”, a six-member troupe from Rochester, N.Y.
ALL ARE WELCOME. ADMISSION IS FREE
What: Liturgical Drama, Certain Women
When: Sunday, Dec. 2 at 1:30 P.M.
Where: Maryknoll Sisters Center Chapel
10 Pinesbridge Road
For more information, call 914-941-7636 x2318
Maryknoll, the U.S.-based Catholic missionary movement, includes the Maryknoll Society (Fathers and Brothers), the Maryknoll Congregation (Sisters), the Maryknoll Lay Missioners, and the Maryknoll Affiliates. Maryknollers have been representing U.S. Catholics in overseas mission since 1911 and currently serve in 35 countries worldwide. For more information on Maryknoll, please consult the World Wide Web at www.maryknoll.org.
http://www.maryknoll.org NY, US
Betsey Guest - Community Outreach, 914 941-76362219
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Role of Beauty Examined at 'Power of Beauty' Conference
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Named a 2015 'Best Value' by Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Franciscan University Faith Households Celebrate 40 Years
- Tolkien’s Christmas wish: limited government and a good movie?
- New Album Time Stands Still, Debuts with U.S. Tour
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?