University President Calls for Protection of Conscience, Religious Liberty
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (April 2, 2013) - Father Terence Henry, TOR, president of Franciscan University of Steubenville, says the newest proposed revisions to the Obama administration’s contraceptive mandate continue to deny Franciscan University the freedom to exclude “morally objectionable” items from its employee healthcare plan.
Father Henry made the comment in a March 27 statement submitted to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services regarding the mandate, which requires health plans to cover abortion-inducing drugs, contraceptives, and sterilization procedures.
Father Henry explained that as a Catholic institution, Franciscan University cannot facilitate such coverage “without violating Catholic Church teaching on the sanctity of human life and the purpose of marriage,” and said that the proposed accommodation would “force us to play a key role” in facilitating contraceptive coverage.
The proposal “would require Franciscan University’s simple act of contracting with an insurer to trigger automatic coverage for pills and procedures that we, as a Catholic university, find morally objectionable,” he said, adding that employees cannot opt out of the automatic coverage, “even when it deeply offends their religious beliefs.”
His statement called the Obama administration to protect Franciscan University’s “rights of conscience and religious liberty as a Catholic institution—and, indeed, the rights of all Americans—instead of picking and choosing whose exercise of religion is protected and whose is not.”
If the administration refuses to “restore our First Amendment right to religious liberty,” Father Henry said, “Franciscan University will have no choice but to continue our fight to live the faith we believe.”
The full text of Father Henry’s comment is available at http://www.franciscan.edu/religiousliberty/HHSCommentMarch2013.
The deadline for public comments on the proposed revisions to the HHS mandate is April 8. Comments may be submitted at http://www.regulations.gov/ - !submitComment;D=CMS-2012-0031-63161.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, HHS mandate, federal lawsuit, religious liberty
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary
- My Battle Against Hitler Blog Book Tour
- Hildebrand and the Third Reich
- Pray the rosary with your Sisters
- Something Other Than God nominated for Best Memoir & Autobiography in Goodreads 2014 Choice Awards