Pulitzer Prize Winner Franz Wright to Give a Poetry Reading at Franciscan University
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (September 8, 2012) - Poetry speaks to the soul, and Pulitzer Prize in Poetry winner Franz Wright speaks to his audiences with an uncanny ability to sear even the coldest of hearts. On Thursday, September 13, audiences will have the opportunity to hear Wright read his poetry at 7:30 p.m. in the Gentile Gallery of the J.C. Williams Center at Franciscan University of Steubenville.
According to Dr. David Craig, professor of English at Franciscan University, Wrightís poems take you ďto the places you know yourself, the places where you are tempted and fail. Your dark places, those times when Jesus enters the picture and makes it whole. One would be hard-pressed to find a poet more in control of the language than Franz Wright. There is nothing superfluous here.Ē
Wright converted to Catholicism over 15 years ago after a turnaround from a turbulent, unsettled life. The son of Martinís Ferry native poet James Wright, Franz Wright and his father are the only parent-child pair to win the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.
Franz Wright has published 12 books of poems and several volumes of translations. Among his recent works are Kindertotenwald, Wheeling Motel, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning work, Walking to Marthaís Vineyard.
This presentation is part of the Distinguished Speakers Series at Franciscan University, and is sponsored by the English Department and the Department of Academic Affairs. The reading is free and open to the public.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franz Wright, Franciscan University of Steubenville, poetry, convert
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Joy of the Gospel Retreat for Priests Offered
- Media Advisory - Cardinal, other experts participate in Tele-Press Conference
- Discover the Rich History of the Catholic Church in America
- Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial?
- Franciscan University Symposia to Celebrate 25 Years of John Paul II's Ex corde Ecclesiae
- Join RealOptions at Ignite Life 2014!
- New Edition of Writings by a Prophetic Pope
- George Weigel to Speak on Evangelical Catholicism and Higher Education
- Teacher Wins $3,000 Cash Prize for Catholic YA Novel
- 'Power of Beauty' Conference to Discuss Role of Beauty in Everyday Life