Pulitzer Prize Winner Franz Wright to Give a Poetry Reading at Franciscan University
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (September 8, 2012) - Poetry speaks to the soul, and Pulitzer Prize in Poetry winner Franz Wright speaks to his audiences with an uncanny ability to sear even the coldest of hearts. On Thursday, September 13, audiences will have the opportunity to hear Wright read his poetry at 7:30 p.m. in the Gentile Gallery of the J.C. Williams Center at Franciscan University of Steubenville.
According to Dr. David Craig, professor of English at Franciscan University, Wright’s poems take you “to the places you know yourself, the places where you are tempted and fail. Your dark places, those times when Jesus enters the picture and makes it whole. One would be hard-pressed to find a poet more in control of the language than Franz Wright. There is nothing superfluous here.”
Wright converted to Catholicism over 15 years ago after a turnaround from a turbulent, unsettled life. The son of Martin’s Ferry native poet James Wright, Franz Wright and his father are the only parent-child pair to win the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.
Franz Wright has published 12 books of poems and several volumes of translations. Among his recent works are Kindertotenwald, Wheeling Motel, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning work, Walking to Martha’s Vineyard.
This presentation is part of the Distinguished Speakers Series at Franciscan University, and is sponsored by the English Department and the Department of Academic Affairs. The reading is free and open to the public.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franz Wright, Franciscan University of Steubenville, poetry, convert
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel
- Cardinal Raymond Burke: Synod’s mid-term report ‘lacks a solid foundation in the Sacred Scriptures'
- Little Sisters of the Poor Receive Franciscan University’s Poverello Medal
- Bring Mary of Nazareth home
- 'Encounter Milwaukee' to Reach Catholic Young Adults