Pulitzer Prize Winner Franz Wright to Give a Poetry Reading at Franciscan University
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (September 8, 2012) - Poetry speaks to the soul, and Pulitzer Prize in Poetry winner Franz Wright speaks to his audiences with an uncanny ability to sear even the coldest of hearts. On Thursday, September 13, audiences will have the opportunity to hear Wright read his poetry at 7:30 p.m. in the Gentile Gallery of the J.C. Williams Center at Franciscan University of Steubenville.
According to Dr. David Craig, professor of English at Franciscan University, Wright's poems take you "to the places you know yourself, the places where you are tempted and fail. Your dark places, those times when Jesus enters the picture and makes it whole. One would be hard-pressed to find a poet more in control of the language than Franz Wright. There is nothing superfluous here."
Wright converted to Catholicism over 15 years ago after a turnaround from a turbulent, unsettled life. The son of Martin's Ferry native poet James Wright, Franz Wright and his father are the only parent-child pair to win the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.
Franz Wright has published 12 books of poems and several volumes of translations. Among his recent works are Kindertotenwald, Wheeling Motel, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning work, Walking to Martha's Vineyard.
This presentation is part of the Distinguished Speakers Series at Franciscan University, and is sponsored by the English Department and the Department of Academic Affairs. The reading is free and open to the public.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franz Wright, Franciscan University of Steubenville, poetry, convert
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- NYC May 8, 2015 Spring Fling Catholic Singles Mingle Fundraiser
- Thank A Nun Day
- #TweetingwGod dares young people to believe
- Experience Beloved: Finding happiness in marriage
- Archbishop Aquila, Dr. Edward Sri and other experts to participate in 'Beloved' telepress conference
- Catholic toymaker puts Faith in hands and mouths of babies: Pope Francis doll added to line of toys
- Nobis Media, Marketing & Web Development Company
- Concert Series Concludes with Winthrop University World Percussion Ensemble
- Birth Choice Health Clinics Announces Transition to Obria Medical Clinics and Plans for Expansion
- OCP releases expanded edition of Mass of the Sacred Heart