After 750 years, Logos to translate works of Thomas Aquinas into English for the first time
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BELLINGHAM, WA (April 9, 2012) - The Catholic division of Logos Bible Software is translating three commentaries by St. Thomas Aquinas for the first time in 750 years. Offering the first and only translation of Aquinas' Commentaries on Isaiah, Jeremiah, and the Sentences of Peter Lombard, Logos makes another huge contribution to biblical scholarship. "Logos is not just the premier Bible software today; it's the most powerful scriptural tool in the history of the Church," said Brandon Vogt, author of The Church and New Media: Blogging Converts, Online Activists, and Bishops Who Tweet. "Where else can you study the Bible alongside Jerome, Augustine, Aquinas and Benedict? Or in light of liturgical prayers, conciliar documents and writings from the saints? Logos brings all of that to you in an elegant, easy-to-use package. It surrounds the Bible with the riches of tradition and thereby unveils Scripture in all of its color, beauty and texture." Aquinas wrote three major works of theology. His Summa Theologica and his Summa Contra Gentiles have been available in English for almost a century. But his Commentary on the Sentences of Peter Lombard remains un-translated. This commentary had great influence in its own time and remains heavily cited by theologians. Logos’ translations of the commentaries on Jeremiah and Isaiah will have a large impact on the study of Aquinas’ thought. The focus on Aquinas as a systematic theologian and philosopher, has made his Scriptural works become largely neglected over the years. More and more scholars, however, are realizing that his thought was built on a profoundly Scriptural foundation. As a result, many have suggested that our whole interpretation of Thomas’s work must be re-visited in light of his biblical commentaries. Logos’ translations of the commentaries of Jeremiah and Isaiah will be a major contribution to these exciting developments. For more information on this project, refer to blog.logos.com/aquinas Logos is the leading provider of multilingual tools and resources for Bible study on Macs, PCs and mobile devices. Logos has served pastors, scholars and everyone who wants to study the Bible since 1992, partnering with 150 publishers to offer more than 21,000 Christian ebooks to users in 210 countries. Contact Logos Catholic division: 360-527-1700 x5195, Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.logos.com/catholic
http://www.logos.com/catholic WA, 98225 US
Catholic Logos - ,
bible, scripture study, aquinas, saint, commentary, translation, isaiah, jeremiah, peter, lombard
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Role of Beauty Examined at 'Power of Beauty' Conference
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Named a 2015 'Best Value' by Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Franciscan University Faith Households Celebrate 40 Years
- Tolkien’s Christmas wish: limited government and a good movie?
- New Album Time Stands Still, Debuts with U.S. Tour
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?