Dominican University hosts 'Catholics in the Public Square'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RIVER FOREST, IL (January 24, 2012) - Dominican University’s St. Catherine of Siena Center will host “Catholics in the Public Square: Prophecy, Civility and Truth,” a lecture by M. Cathleen Kaveney, JD, PhD, the John P. Murphy Foundation professor of law and professor of theology at University of Notre Dame on Thursday, February 9 at 7:00 p.m. The lecture will be held at Dominican’s Priory Auditorium, 7200 W. Division Street, River Forest.
Kaveny will speak to how Catholics should frame their public discussion of controversial issues in a pluralistic society. Today’s public Catholic is forced to reconcile the obligation to speak prophetically about moral scandals in society with the obligation to speak politely and respectfully, taking into account the concerns of those who disagree.
The discussion will provide both insights into how to manage this tension in everyday life as well as context for such tension apparent in the ongoing national elections.
Lecture tickets are $10. For more information, contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2012/january/article_0010.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
Dominican University, Siena Center, Notre Dame, Cathleen Kaveney, lecture, public
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RealOptions Presents Rachel’s Vineyard Retreats
- Angels and Saints at Ephesus again No. 1 on Billboard’s Classical Traditional Music Chart
- The CatholicTV Network to air Feature on the Fine Arts Summer Academy
- The CatholicTV Network to air Ordinations to the Priesthood for the Archdiocese of Boston
- Live Web Event with Scott Hahn
- New Book by IPS Brings together Psychologists, Theologians and Philosophers to 'Build the Bridge'
- Remembering Fr. Kapaun and all our fallen heroes on Memorial Day
- First U.S. Publisher to Speak at Canadian Catholic Schools Convention
- IPS Press Announces Last Book from the Late Benedict Ashley, O.P. A Culmination of His Life's Work
- Human cloning for stem cells remains unethical, impractical and dangerous