Dominican University hosts 'Catholics in the Public Square'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RIVER FOREST, IL (January 24, 2012) - Dominican University's St. Catherine of Siena Center will host "Catholics in the Public Square: Prophecy, Civility and Truth," a lecture by M. Cathleen Kaveney, JD, PhD, the John P. Murphy Foundation professor of law and professor of theology at University of Notre Dame on Thursday, February 9 at 7:00 p.m. The lecture will be held at Dominican's Priory Auditorium, 7200 W. Division Street, River Forest.
Kaveny will speak to how Catholics should frame their public discussion of controversial issues in a pluralistic society. Today's public Catholic is forced to reconcile the obligation to speak prophetically about moral scandals in society with the obligation to speak politely and respectfully, taking into account the concerns of those who disagree.
The discussion will provide both insights into how to manage this tension in everyday life as well as context for such tension apparent in the ongoing national elections.
Lecture tickets are $10. For more information, contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2012/january/article_0010.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
Dominican University, Siena Center, Notre Dame, Cathleen Kaveney, lecture, public
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- When Pope Francis Arrives in North America, There is Only One Network to Watch: EWTN Global Catholic
- The Synod on the Family: Addressing the Instrumentum Laboris
- GHIRELLI'S WORLD MEETING OF FAMILIES ROSARIES NOW AVAILABLE
- OCP Artist, Pedro Rubalcava, Writes Song for Pope Francis' Visit
- Pre-Synod Conference unites Cardinals and men and women living with homosexual tendencies
- The Rigging of a Vatican Synod
- 17 Cardinals and Counting
- 19th Annual Carnival Announced for St. Ann's Parish
- OCP Pledges to Support the V Encuentro
- The John Paul II International Film Festival Marks Its Five-Year Anniversary