Dominican University hosts 'Catholics in the Public Square'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RIVER FOREST, IL (January 24, 2012) - Dominican University’s St. Catherine of Siena Center will host “Catholics in the Public Square: Prophecy, Civility and Truth,” a lecture by M. Cathleen Kaveney, JD, PhD, the John P. Murphy Foundation professor of law and professor of theology at University of Notre Dame on Thursday, February 9 at 7:00 p.m. The lecture will be held at Dominican’s Priory Auditorium, 7200 W. Division Street, River Forest.
Kaveny will speak to how Catholics should frame their public discussion of controversial issues in a pluralistic society. Today’s public Catholic is forced to reconcile the obligation to speak prophetically about moral scandals in society with the obligation to speak politely and respectfully, taking into account the concerns of those who disagree.
The discussion will provide both insights into how to manage this tension in everyday life as well as context for such tension apparent in the ongoing national elections.
Lecture tickets are $10. For more information, contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2012/january/article_0010.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
Dominican University, Siena Center, Notre Dame, Cathleen Kaveney, lecture, public
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Teacher Wins $3,000 Cash Prize for Catholic YA Novel
- 'Power of Beauty' Conference to Discuss Role of Beauty in Everyday Life
- One of the Great Overlooked Dramas of the Nazi Era
- Every Day is a Holiday in the Catholic Church!
- RENEW International Staff to Attend International Meeting Pastoral Project of “Evangelii Gaudium” a
- Little Sisters of the Poor to Receive Franciscan University's Poverello Medal
- Is Pope Francis for real?
- 18th Annual Carnival at St. Ann’s Parish
- The CatholicTV Network to Broadcast Blue Mass for Public Safety Personnel with Cardinal Seán O'Malle
- Back-to-School Blog Tour Highlights Catholic Children’s Literature