EWTN Launches Catholic Television Programming In Ukraine
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
An Historic First in Ukraine’s History
IRONDALE, AL (December 16, 2011) - EWTN Global Catholic Network was launched Dec. 8 in Kyiv, the capital and largest city in Ukraine. At the invitation of Archbishop Mieczyslaw Mokrzycki, head of the Roman Catholic Bishops’ Conference, and through the cooperation and support of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI), who operate the Catholic Media Centre (CMC) in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kyiv-Zhytomyr, EWTN was able to launch on Volia, the largest cable television operator in the country.
The Network’s Catholic television programming immediately began streaming 24-hours-a-day on Channel 137. EWTN’s programs are initially being broadcast in English, but the Oblates are already translating a growing number of these programs into Ukrainian.
With great joy, Kyiv Archbishop Petro Malchuk visited the CMC, where EWTN’s studios are located, for the Dec. 8 launch. After celebrating the Solemn Mass of the Immaculate Conception, he blessed the workers, the studio and its equipment, and placed the entire facility under the protection of Mary Immaculate, whose feast day it was.
In his remarks, the Archbishop noted that the area had just been blessed with its first snowfall. He said that this snowfall, which will irrigate the ground, was symbolic of EWTN coming to Ukraine and bringing God’s grace to the hearts of those who will view it. Archbishop Malchuk then pressed the button which launched EWTN’s programming.
“Today, for the first time in the history of Ukraine, we have launched Catholic television” said CMC Director Fr. Pavlo Vyshkovskyy, OMI. “As of today, we are able to broadcast only in Kyiv, but we pray to God that it will be possible to watch EWTN TV in other cities of Ukraine as well. We need the prayers and support of many people for that.”
EWTN Global Catholic Network, in its 30th year, is available in over 160 million television households in more than 140 countries and territories. With its direct broadcast satellite television and radio services, AM & FM radio networks, worldwide short-wave radio station, Internet website www.ewtn.com, electronic and print news services, and publishing arm, EWTN is the largest religious media network in the world.
EWTN Global Catholic Network
http://www.ewtn.com/media AL, 35210 US
Michelle Johnson - Director of Communications, 205-795-5769
EWTN, Catholic, Ukraine, Kiev, Kyiv, Mokrzycki, Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Malchuk, Vyshkovskyy
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Named a 2015 'Best Value' by Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Franciscan University Faith Households Celebrate 40 Years
- Tolkien’s Christmas wish: limited government and a good movie?
- New Album Time Stands Still, Debuts with U.S. Tour
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary