Pope Francis to visit Egypt in April
Rumors of Pope Francis visiting Egypt this year have been circulating, with the Vatican admitting only it would consider a papal visit.
Pope Francis to visit Egypt.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Now, the Vatican announced Pope Francis will be visiting Egypt from April 28 to the 29.
The official papal visit to the Muslim-majority nation to reveal the importance of interfaith dialogue.
He will arrive in Cairo, Egypt, and is expected to visit Al-Azhar University, which recently partnered with the Vatican to discuss how to fight "religious justification" for violence.
According to CNA, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, the president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and the council's secretary and head of their Office for Islam, traveled to Cairo on February 24 to participate in the special seminar at Al-Azhar University to discuss the theme "The role of al-Azhar al-Sharif and the Vatican in countering the phenomena of fanaticism, extremism and violence in the name of religion.
Pope Francis met Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria at the Vatican in 2013.
Christian persecution in Egypt has been an ongoing issue, which many hope Pope Francis will discuss and help change during his visit.
There have been 40 reported murders of Christians in Egypt this year alone, with 29 killed in a bombing at St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in December.
The Islamic State took credit for the bombing and released a video later to target Christian "crusaders" in their country.
Can Pope Francis help interfaith relations? Will the government step up their protection of religious minorities? Only time will tell.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MARCH 2017
Support for Persecuted Christians. That persecuted Christians may be supported by the prayers and material help of the whole Church.
by Catholic Online
- 'Living Lent': Saturday of the Third Week of Lent - Day 25
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 27
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Sunday, March 26, 2017
- St. Margaret Clitherow: Saint of the Day for Sunday, March 26, 2017
- 'Living Lent': Sunday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 26
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 27th, 2017 HD
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious footage HD
- Cause of cancer detected from unexpected and unpreventable element HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 25th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.