Pope Francis to visit Egypt in April
Rumors of Pope Francis visiting Egypt this year have been circulating, with the Vatican admitting only it would consider a papal visit.
Pope Francis to visit Egypt.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Now, the Vatican announced Pope Francis will be visiting Egypt from April 28 to the 29.
The official papal visit to the Muslim-majority nation to reveal the importance of interfaith dialogue.
He will arrive in Cairo, Egypt, and is expected to visit Al-Azhar University, which recently partnered with the Vatican to discuss how to fight "religious justification" for violence.
According to CNA, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, the president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and the council's secretary and head of their Office for Islam, traveled to Cairo on February 24 to participate in the special seminar at Al-Azhar University to discuss the theme "The role of al-Azhar al-Sharif and the Vatican in countering the phenomena of fanaticism, extremism and violence in the name of religion.
Pope Francis met Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria at the Vatican in 2013.
Christian persecution in Egypt has been an ongoing issue, which many hope Pope Francis will discuss and help change during his visit.
There have been 40 reported murders of Christians in Egypt this year alone, with 29 killed in a bombing at St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in December.
The Islamic State took credit for the bombing and released a video later to target Christian "crusaders" in their country.
Can Pope Francis help interfaith relations? Will the government step up their protection of religious minorities? Only time will tell.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JULY 2017
Lapsed Christians. That our brothers and sisters who have strayed from the faith, through our prayer and witness to the Gospel, may rediscover the merciful closeness of the Lord and the beauty of the Christian life.
by Catholic Online
- Oh no! Is El Nino coming back to California?
- Will We Use Our Ears To Hear?
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 HD Video
- St. James the Greater: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Scientists discover elusive 'Angel Particles' are real
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD Video
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat of ISIS HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD