Catholic Priest stabbed in THROAT minutes before Sunday Mass - you'll be surprised WHAT he accused the priest of being
Fr. Tomy Mathew, a Catholic priest from Kerala, India, was the victim of a hate crime this weekend.
Fr. Tomy Mathew was stabbed in the neck just before delivering his Sunday Mass.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Minutes before his Sunday Mass at St. Matthew's Parish in Fawkner, Australia, an elderly man approached Fr. Mathew.
According to News18, Thiruvallom Bhasi, the editor of a Melbourne daily visiting Thiruvananthapuram, witnessed the event.
"While the ceremony was on, the accused came forward and shouted that since he [Mathew] is an Indian, he couldn't conduct the mass."
Christian Today reported the man screamed at Fr. Mathew, "You are Muslim or Hindu...I will kill you" before stabbing the priest in the neck.
A woman, who asked not to be identified, witnessed the attack and said: "There was some shouting and lots of movement in the back of the church. I saw Father Tomy coming to approach me and he sort of waved me over.
"He asked if I could look at his neck. He said, 'I've just been stabbed.' As I removed his garment I could see quite a bit of blood."
Father Tomy Mathew, 48, was stabbed in the neck at St Matthew's Parish in Melbourne as he was about to start saying Mass (St. Mathew's Church, Melbourne/Facebook).
Fr. Abraham Kavilpurayidathil, a Public Relations Officer of Thamarassery diocese, explained Fr. Tomy, a native of Karimbu, has served as vicar of St. Matthew's Parish for the last four years.
He added that Fr. Tomy's thick clothing, which he wore due to the cold weather, helped keep what they believe was a knife from doing more serious damage.
Fr. Savarimuthu Sankar, of the Delhi Catholic Archdiocese, explained: "Hate crime became a concern and it is high time for the government to initiate dialogues with other countries to prevent such crimes.
"Every effort should be made by the government abroad to spread the message of appreciation for others. We condemn this incident and pray for his speedy recovery."
Fr. Mathew was taken to the hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries to his neck and is expected to make a full recovery.
Thank you, Lord, for your veil of protection. Bless Fr. Mathew and his flock, that they harbor no fear and know only your peace and safety. Amen.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for SEPTEMBER 2017
Parishes. That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
by Catholic Online
- Sts. Cosmas & Damian: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, September 26, 2017
- Is Pope Francis a heretic? Formal letter of correction made public
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Elizabeth Warren - Another liberal hypocrite, scam artist exposed
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, September 26, 2017
- Trump speech rocks NFL as more players protest during Anthem HD Video
- Church tricked into hosting satanic fashion show
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD