Papal Homily at Celebration of the Word for Icon of Kazan
"To Hasten the Day of That Full Unity of Believers"
VATICAN CITY, AUG. 26, 2004 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of the homily John Paul II delivered today during the celebration of the Word, over which he presided in Paul VI Hall, when handing over the icon of the Mother of God of Kazan to the papal representative who will take it to Moscow.
* * *
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
1. As I announced last Sunday, our traditional weekly meeting assumes today a particular form. We find ourselves, in fact, gathered in prayer around the venerated icon of the Mother of God of Kazan, which is about to undertake the return journey to Russia, which it left years ago.
After having journeyed through different countries and stayed a long time in the Shrine of Fatima, in Portugal, more than 10 years ago it arrived providentially in the Pope's residence. Since then, it has been by my side me and accompanied me with a maternal gaze in my daily service to the Church.
How many times, since that day, have I invoked the Mother of God of Kazan, asking her to protect and guide the Russian people who are devoted to her, and to hasten the time in which all the disciples of her Son, recognizing themselves brothers, will be able to restore in full the lost unity.
2. From the beginning, I have desired that this holy icon return to the soil of Russia, where -- according to reliable historical testimonies -- it was for very many years the object of profound veneration by whole generations of faithful. The history of that great people has developed around the icon of the Mother of God of Kazan.
Russia has been a Christian nation for so many centuries, it is Holy Rus. Even when adverse forces were ferociously against the Church and tried to remove from the life of men the holy name of God, that people remained profoundly Christian, witnessing in so many cases with blood their fidelity to the Gospel and to the values that it inspires.
It is, therefore, with particular emotion that I give thanks with you to Divine Providence, which allows me to send to the venerated patriarch of Moscow and All Russia the gift of this holy icon.
3. May this ancient image of the Mother of the Lord express to His Holiness Alexy II and the venerated Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church the affection of the Successor of Peter for them and for all the faithful entrusted to them. May it express his esteem for the great spiritual tradition of which the Holy Russian Church is custodian. May it express the desire and firm intention of the Pope of Rome to progress together with them on the path of reciprocal knowledge and reconciliation, to hasten the day of that full unity of believers for which the Lord Jesus ardently prayed (see John 17:20-22).
Dear Brothers and Sisters, join me in invoking the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, while I hand over her icon to the delegation that, in my name, will take it to Moscow.
At the end of the celebration of the Word, the general audience took place, during which the Pope greeted pilgrims in various languages. In English, he said:
I am pleased to greet the English-speaking pilgrims and visitors present, especially those from England, Ireland, Japan and the United States. My special greetings and thanks go to the young altar servers from Malta and their families. Upon all of you I invoke God's blessings of joy and peace.
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Pope, Homily, Kazan, Russia, Vatican
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis to meet with Rev. Barber to discuss fight agianst poverty
- Deacon Keith Fournier on Thanksgiving Day and the Need to Return to God
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Quotes of the Saints - Five saints have a message for you on this ...
- St. Andrew Dung Lac: Saint of the Day for Friday, November 24, 2017
- Daily Readings for Friday, November 24, 2017
- Will 2018 be the year the Big One hits California? The news media makes a shocking claim HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, November 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, November 24th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way