A town of great antiquity, on the Thames, in Berkshire, England ; quaintly rendered Ventus Morbidus in some medieval documents, the name being really from the Saxon Windels-or , "winding shore". The manor was granted by St. Edward the Confessor to the Abbey of Westminster, and the town became a free borough under Edward I. The chief interest of Windsor lies in the castle, one of the most famous royal residences in the world. There was a palace and stronghold here in the time of the Saxon Heptarchy, and the great mound on which stands the Round Tower (itself rebuilt by Edward III ) is of this date. The castle, which was extensively added to by Henry III, has been for centuries the favourite residence of English kings, many of whom, including Edward III and Henry VI, were born there. A chapel existed in the castle from early times; but the present sumptuous Chapel of St. George, considered the finest example of perpendicular architecture in England, was built by Edward IV, who was buried in it, as were several of his successors. St. Edward's (now the Albert Memorial) Chapel was the burial place of Cardinal Wolsey, who constructed a magnificent tomb for himself. This chapel was used for Catholic worship in the reign of James II, who received the papal nuncio there in 1687. Under George IV nearly a million sterling was spent on altering and practically rebuilding the castle, according to the plans of Wyatville. Many royal marriages have taken place during the last century in St. George's Chapel, which is a richly-endowed royal peculiar, served by a dean, a college of canons and minor clerics, and a staff of highly-trained choristers. The chapel is the headquarters of the Knights of the Garter (established by Edward III ), for whom a special prayer is said at every service held within its walls.
More Catholic Encyclopedia
Browse Encyclopedia by Alphabet
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Browse the Catholic Encyclopedia by Topic
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online