Vicariate Apostolic in India, one of the three vicariates of the Syro-Malabar Rite, bounded on the north by the diocese of Mangalore, east by the diocese of Coimbature, south by the Vicariate of Ernaculam, and on the west by the Indian Ocean. According to the census of 1900 the Catholics of the, Syrian Rite in the vicariate numbered 91,998, having 63 churches and 23 chapels served by 66 native secular priests. There are also three monasteries of Tertiary Carmelite monks at Elthuruth, Ampalacad, and Paratti, containing about 20 professed and 11 lay brothers, besides a number of novices ; also four convents for Carmelite nuns with 31 professed besides novices, postulants and lay sisters. There are in the vicariate 2 high schools, 2 lower secondary schools, and 184 elementary schools, the number of children under training being 19,093. A seminary at Trichur prepares candidates for Puthenpally or Kandy. The vicar Apostolic (John Menacherry, appointed 1896) resides at Trichur. For the ancient history of the Christians of the Syro-Malabar Rite see THOMAS CHRISTIANS. They remained under the jurisdiction partly of Cranganore, till 1887, when on the establishment of the hierarchy, the churches of the Syrian Rite were separated from those of the Latin Rite and placed under two vicars Apostolic with their centres at Trichur and Kottayam respectively. Later on, in 1896, a new division was made and three vicariates established, viz. of Trichur, Ernaculam, and Changanacherry. These three vicariates cover the same ground as the Archdiocese of Verapoly, the Archbishop of Verapoly exercising territorial jurisdiction over all Christians of the Latin Rite, while the vicars Apostolic hold personal and quasi-territorial jurisdiction over all of the Syrian Rite. The vicariates are nominally classed as belonging to the province of Verapoly, but without the usual ecclesiastical connection.
(See VICARIATE APOSTOLIC OF CHANGANACHERRY; ARCHDIOCESE OF VERAPOLY; DIOCESE OF DAMAO; EASTERN CHURCHES; THOMAS CHRISTIANS.)
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed between 1907 and 1912 in fifteen hard copy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online