Mother Teresa Fact Sheet
Agnes Gonxha Bajaxhiu on August 26, 1910 in Skopje, Macedonia
Mother Teresa on September 5, 1997 in Kolkata, India
Joined the Loreto Novitiate on May 23, 1929
May 25, 1931 and was to be known as Sister Teresa after her patroness St. Therese of Lisieux
May 24, 1937 and was to be known as Mother Teresa following Loreto custom
September 10, 1946 on a train journey from Calcutta to Darjeeling, Mother Teresa received the "call within a call," which was to give rise to the Missionaries of Charity Order.
October 7, 1950 the Missionaries of Charity was officially erected as a religious institute for the Archdiocese of Calcutta.
Among the 124 Awards Received
Padmashree Award (from the President of India) August 1962
Pope John XXIII Peace Prize January 1971
John F. Kennedy International Award September 1971
Jawahalal Nehru Award for International Understanding November 1972
Templeton Prize for "Progress in Religion" April 1973
Nobel Peace Prize December 1979
Bharat Ratna (Jewel of India) March 1980
Order of Merit (from Queen Elizabeth) November 1983
Gold Medal of the Soviet Peace Committee August 1987
United States Congressional Gold Medal June 1997
Missionaries of Charity
In addition to the Sisters, Mother Teresa founded four other branches of the Missionaries of Charity family. On March 25, 1963, the Archbishop of Calcutta blessed the beginning of an active branch of Brothers. The contemplative branch of the Sisters began in New York on June 25, 1976, and the contemplative Brothers were established in Rome on March 19, 1979. The Fathers were founded in the Bronx, New York on October 13, 1984.
From the very beginning, Mother Teresa also involved lay people in her service to the poor. In March 1969, the Co-Workers of Mother Teresa were officially begun. On April 16, 1984, the Lay Missionaries of Charity were established.
At the time of Mother Teresa's death, The Sisters of the Missionaries of Charity numbered 3,914 members, and were established in 594 communities in 123 countries of the world. Her work continues under the guidance of Sr. M Prema, MC, Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity Sisters. The order has grown over 4,000 members in 697 foundations in 131 countries of the world.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Sunday, February 26, 2017
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear ...
- Christians warn against witches 'binding spell' of U.S. President ...
- St. Isabel of France: Saint of the Day for Sunday, February 26, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD Video
- 92-year-old woman blessed with gift to help newborns
- Your Daily Inspirational Meme: Thank you, Lord, for always being ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 26th, 2017 HD
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South Sudan HD
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.