IUD Seeing a Rebirth Among Women, Despite Risks
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GLENVIEW, IL (MARCH 9, 2009) - After years of being off the market, the intrauterine device, or IUD, seems to be experiencing a rebirth by a new generation of women in Chicago and elsewhere in the nation.
One of the main changes made over the past twenty years is how effective the IUD is as a method of birth control. In the past, the IUD was inert, and might be made of plastic or metal, but newer IUDs, such as the Mirena, are more effective with the addition of the hormone progestin, similar to that used in the birth control pill.
Nevertheless, possible health risks involved are pelvic inflammatory disease, allergic reactions, infections, changes in vision, chills, dizziness, lack of or prolonged menstruation, and other side effects. In fact, controversy within the medical community and among users spurred lawsuits and FDA action with regard to the IUD of the 1970s and 80s, experts say.
Two IUDs besides the Mirena are available in the United States—the Copper-T 380A, also known as the ParaGard, and Progestasert.
Such health risks have been the cause of interest in Natural Family Planning (NFP) over the years, reports the Chicago chapter of the Couple to Couple League (CCL). NFP offers a healthy alternative to artificial means in the form of fertility awareness, according to CCL. The group teaches the Sympto-Thermal Method of NFP and is one of the world’s largest providers of natural family planning.
Classes in NFP will be offered at St. Alphonsus Church in Chicago beginning Apr. 26. Classes are also offered in 14 locations in the Chicago area. For more information, contact Lloyd & Monica Cassidy at 847-724-7206, or visit www.naturalfamilyplanningchicago.com.
Couple to Couple League of Chicago
http://www.naturalfamilyplanningchicago.com IL, 60025 US
Monica Cassidy - Chapter Co-President, 847 724-7206
IUD, women, Chicago, IL, Mirena, health, risks, birth, control, intra, uterine, device
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- EWTN PREMIERE: New StoryTel Film Explores Soldiers of Christ in America
- Crosiers offer novena for protection against Ebola virus
- Meet the enemy of big government: J.R.R. Tolkien
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- Pontiff and Prophet: Pope Paul VI predictions in On Human Life ring true throughout the world
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel