The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture has Officially Launched
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Grand Rapids, Michigan (OCTOBER 8, 2008) — The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture (CCSS), published by Baker Academic, has officially launched.
The CCSS responds to the desire of Catholics to study the Bible in depth in a way that integrates Scripture with Catholic doctrine, worship, and daily life. Each volume draws on the best of contemporary Catholic biblical scholarship and are written from a standpoint of lively faith. The authors implement the theological principles for interpreting Scripture taught by Vatican II, reading Scripture in its canonical context and interpreting it in the light of Catholic tradition.
Accessibly written yet substantive, the CCSS fills a gap in the available literature by offering commentaries that provide more than brief study guides but are less daunting than academic works. The seventeen-volume series will appeal to lay and ordained Catholics involved in pastoral ministry as well as lay Catholics interested in serious Bible study, professors and students wanting an accessible theological and pastoral commentary from a Catholic perspective, and libraries.
The CCSS is supplemented by features designed to help readers use the Bible more effectively in teaching, preaching, evangelization, and other forms of ministry. Each volume provides exegesis as well as “Reflection and Application” sections to help readers apply Scripture to Christian life today. Interspersed throughout the commentary are sidebars that present information on the background of the text and on how the text has been interpreted by the Church. Abundant quotations from saints and Church Fathers enable readers to glimpse the continuity of the Catholic tradition. An Index of Pastoral Topics at the end of each volume allows readers to quickly locate passages that are relevant to Christian life and ministry. Their rich content and engaging style makes these commentaries desirable not merely for reference but also as books to be relished for personal study or spiritual reading.
The inaugural volume, "The Gospel of Mark" by Mary Healy and "First and Second Timothy, Titus" by George T. Montague SM are now available.
Visit the official website at www.catholicscripturecommentary.com
http://www.catholicscripturecommentary.com MI, 49301 US
Caitlin Mackenzie - Publicist, 616 676-9185
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way
- CatholicTV Launches 2.0 of iOS app, Android 2.0 to soon follow
- OCP brings music to South Korea’s Asian Youth Day