69th Annual Kateri Tekakwitha Conference
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
North America's oldest and largest conference of First Nations Catholics will be held in Edmonton in early July.
EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA (JUNE 5, 2008) - One Heart-All Nations is the theme of the 69th annual Kateri Tekakwitha Conference July 2-6 at the Mayfield Inn & Suites Conference Centre, 16615-109 Ave. Up to 1,000 people from across North America are expected to attend.
It is the first time that the conference, which will be hosted by the Alberta Métis and First Nations communities, will be held in Canada.
"It's a major gathering of native people from all over the United States and Canada," said Oblate Father Garry Laboucane, a member of the planning committee. "It's a time for prayer and singing."
The conference is named after Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha. One of its goals is to unify Aboriginal Catholics while respecting tribal differences.
"The conference also strives to empower native Catholics as Church and to deepen and affirm native Catholic identity and pride in their culture and spiritual traditions," said conference spokesperson Felice Gladue, a Métis from Sherwood Park.
Other aims of the conference are to promote and maintain ongoing communication and involvement between tribes and the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in America and to pray for the canonization of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, to share the story of her life and to follow her example of holiness.
To volunteer or for more information on the conference contact Felice Gladue at 780-975-2084 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Metis Matters Foundation
http://www.wcr.ab.ca/news/2008/0519/kateri051908.shtml AL, CA
Felice Gladue - Secretary, 780 975-2084
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Holy Spirit Catholic School Open House
- 100+ Priests & Deacons Gather in Rome for International Conference Confraternities of Catholic Clerg
- Honor y Gloria a ╔l Inspires with Songs of Hope and Adoration
- Catholic Clergy issue Joint Statement on Marriage
- March for Life 2015; Franciscan University Students Prepare the Celebrate 'Every Gift Is a Gift'
- Sacred Psalm Texts and Latin Rhythm Combine In New Bilingual Album
- Dr. Janet Smith the Present Catholic Teaching on Reproductive Technologies
- Concert Features Music and Verse from the Middle Ages to Today
- Role of Beauty Examined at 'Power of Beauty' Conference
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Named a 2015 'Best Value' by Kiplinger's Personal Finance