NCUBB Launch Rally
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Cord Blood Bank Campaign Launch
72 SF Fifth Graders to Hold Red Kites at Event
WHAT: Northern California Umbilical Cord Blood Bank Campaign Launch
WHO: Sen. Carole Migden, Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, SF Supervisor Sean Elsbernd, Dept. of Public Health Director Mitch Katz, and others
WHERE: SF City Hall, Front Steps (Goodlett)
WHEN: Thursday, Nov. 15th, 1:00 pm
Citing the need for a way to collect and store potentially life-saving umbilical cord blood stem cells, SF Supervisor Sean Elsbernd and other local politicians, doctors and officials of the Joanne Pang Foundation and UCSF Children’s Hospital will officially launch a fundraising campaign to raise $2.5 million. Funds raised will establish the public, non-profit Northern California Umbilical Cord Blood Bank in San Francisco.
Also in attendance will be Christopher Pang, Joanne Pang’s brother, and his fifth grade classmates from St. Cecilia Elementary School. The children have made red paper kites for the event to symbolize the hope embodied in this grassroots cause. Joanne died of juvenile leukemia in 2003 at the age of nine.
"This campaign is on the front line of saving lives," said Assemblywoman Fiona Ma. "Cord blood stem cells have the power to provide new life for those who otherwise would have little hope for survival. The Bay Area's diverse and generous residents make San Francisco the perfect location to establish this life saving bank."
Nearly 20 percent of all babies born in California each year are delivered in Northern California. The ethnic diversity of the region means that the Northern California Umbilical Cord Blood Bank units will have a broad genetic mix which will benefit Asian, African American, Caucasian, and Hispanic patients of all ages.
Unlike bone marrow donor matching, collecting cord blood stem cells is non-invasive, easier to match to patients in need and non-controversial. In most births today, cord blood is disposed of after a baby is born. Once this cord blood bank is established, parents giving birth will have the option of donating this gift of life at no cost to them.
Joanne Pang Foundation
Scott Hildula, President
Tel: (415) 786-3036
San Francisco Supervisor
Sean Elsbernd, District 7
Phone: (415) 554-6516
Joanne Pang Foundation
http://www.joannepang.org CA, US
Scott Hildula - President, 415 786-3036
Umbilical cord blood bank rally
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Thu, Sept 25, 2014 - Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian at Our Lady of Grace Catholic
- Employment Opportunities with the LA Archdiocese
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way