Good Will Publishers Joins Lawsuit Seeking Relief from HHS Mandate
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CHARLOTTE, NC (March 12, 2014) - Good Will Publishers, a 76-year-old family business based in Gastonia, NC, joined other Catholic employers today in a lawsuit to stop the mandate from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) requiring faith-based organizations to provide health insurance coverage for surgical sterilizations, contraceptives, and abortion-inducing drugs. The HHS mandate, part of the Affordable Care Act, forces Catholic employers to violate their religiously-held beliefs and the teachings of the Catholic Church.
The lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma by members of the Catholic Benefits Association (CBA), a nonprofit organization representing nearly 200 Catholic employers. The filing asks the court to protect CBA members’ free exercise of religion by allowing employer-members to opt out of the HHS mandate’s coverage requirement.
“We are pleased to join the Catholic Benefits Association suit as a named plaintiff,” said Robert M. Gallagher, CEO of Good Will Publishers, parent company of several business entities including TAN Books and Saint Benedict Press. “Requiring employers like Good Will Publishers to fund contraceptive and abortive procedures against our beliefs is an unprecedented attack on religious liberty, the first of our constitutional freedoms – and the one on which all others depend.”
The Catholic Benefits Association filing is noteworthy for including a Catholic business owner, Good Will Publishers, as well as dioceses and charities among the plaintiffs.
“We are committed to fighting the HHS mandate,” said Gallagher. “We undertake this fight not only for Good Will Publishers -- but for the thousands of Catholic business owners whose religious liberty is at stake.”
“Through its narrow definition of a religious employer, its inadequate accommodation for Catholic nonprofit organizations, and its disregard for the religious liberty of the owners of for profit companies, the Affordable Care Act is driving the expression and the exercise of religious liberty from the public square,” said Gallagher. “This is simply wrong.”
Saint Benedict Press, LLC/TAN Books
http://www.tanbooks.com NC, 28273 US
Brian Kennelly - Publicist, (704) 884-3073
religious liberty, freedom, mandate, HHS, Affordable Care Act, contraception, abortion, pro-life
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Defending Traditional Marriage: Dr. Ryan Anderson Presents Marriage and the State
- Catawba River Baroque Featured at Gaudium Musicae
- DUFFY BOOK GIVES HOPE TO DIVORCED CATHOLICS
- Walsh University Hosts Third Annual Catholic Schools Photo Contest
- Internationally Published Author, Chris Benguhe Releases his Latest Book, The Best of A Better View.
- Power and Purpose Summer Conference
- Former Planned Parenthood employee is Redeemed by Grace
- The Third Edition of Clean of Heart is Now Available Through Createspace
- Thu, Mar 19, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Charles Lueras, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Media Alert: Live Web Chat With Former Planned Parenthood Manager Ramona Treviño