Pro Orantibus Day (“For Those Who Pray”) Scheduled for Nov. 21, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CHICAGO, IL (November 5, 2013) - Catholics throughout the world are encouraged to honor the cloistered and monastic life on Pro Orantibus Day, which is Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013.
“The primary purpose of Pro Orantibus Day (“For Those Who Pray”) is to thank God for the tremendous gift of the cloistered and monastic vocation in the Church’s life,” noted Rev. Thomas Nelson, O. Praem., National Director of the Institute on Religious Life. He added, “Since the lives of these women and men religious dedicated to prayer and sacrifice is often hidden, this annual celebration reminds us of the need to support their unique mission within the Body of Christ.”
This special mission consists in laying down their lives in prayer for the needs of the Church, and for obtaining the graces needed by all people. Recognizing the tremendous importance of this, Pope John Paul II asked that this ecclesial event be observed worldwide each year on the Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary’s Presentation in the Temple. It is a special day on which to thank those in the cloistered and monastic life, and to remind ourselves of the need to provide spiritual and material support “for those who pray.”
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, addressing a group of cloistered Dominican nuns in Rome, referred to such religious as “the heart” which provides blood to the rest of the Body of Christ. Pope Francis has also demonstrated his love and support for cloistered religious by visiting with them during his trip to Brazil for World Youth Day.
The nationwide effort to publicize Pro Orantibus Day is coordinated by the Institute on Religious Life, a national organization based in the Chicago area. The IRL was founded in 1974 by Servant of God Rev. John A. Hardon, S.J., and is comprised of bishops, priests, religious and laity who support and promote the vowed religious life. The IRL has made a packet of information available online, including a meditation for this occasion by Rev. Thomas Nelson, O.Praem., IRL National Director.
Visit http://CloisteredLife.com/pro-orantibus-day for more information.
The cloistered religious featured on the 2013 Pro Orantibus Day logo are the Carmelite Nuns of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Monastery in Salt Lake City, Utah. Their website is http://www.CarmelSLC.org.
2013 Pro Orantibus Day
http://www.CarmelSLC.org UT, 60137
religious vocations, cloistered life, monastic life
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- What if we told you Aquinas wasn’t all about philosophy?
- Meet the Woman Who Inspired Ludovico of Casoria, the Church's Newest Saint for the Poor
- Celebrating the Return of a Timeless Classic: The Beloved Queen of Apostles Prayer Book
- “JOY TO THE WORLD” THE 2014 DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CHRISTMAS CONCERT SERIES TOUR BEGINS DECEMBER 3
- Forty Catholic dioceses in effective schism?
- Meet a Medieval Pro-life Saint: Elizabeth of Hungary
- My Battle Against Hitler Blog Book Tour
- Hildebrand and the Third Reich
- Pray the rosary with your Sisters
- Something Other Than God nominated for Best Memoir & Autobiography in Goodreads 2014 Choice Awards