What do a puck, a goal and the Catholic Church have in common?
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For More Information:
Kevin Wandra, 404-788-1276 or
Author scores with unlikely yet effective playbook for the New Evangelization
ATLANTA, GA (October 29, 2013) - What could an icy sport like hockey have in common with a hot button religion like Catholicism? In her debut book, THE CATECHISM OF HOCKEY, Alyssa Bormes shows readers that hockey, among many sports, is really a metaphor to understanding and believing what the Catholic Church teaches.
Why does hockey have so many rules? Why do Catholics? Do we still need to have penalty boxes? Why do we have to go to Confession? Can't we get rid of offside? What's the need for a Sacrament? And why is practice so important? Do we really need to go to Mass every week? What's the big deal with the Commissioner? And coaches? And referees? Why do we need priests, and what's the big deal with the Pope? Why can't they just let us play? Anyone involved in hockey - players, parents, fans - would never take any of those hockey questions seriously. Without the rules, there would be no hockey. And without the drills there would be no thrills.
And yet Catholics ask similar questions about the Church all the time.
Bormes offers a fun and enlightening playbook with the ultimate goal of explaining the richness and beauty of the Catholic faith through comparisons to hockey. And Bormes is getting high praise for her methods.
"Miss Bormes' new book, THE CATECHISM OF HOCKEY, offers an insightful and unique way of helping readers to better understand their faith," said Most Rev. Thomas John Paprocki, bishop of Springfield, Ill. "As a bishop and a hockey player, I am grateful for this contribution, which I pray will be an effective tool in helping people to grow in a deeper appreciation for the Catholic faith by viewing it through the lens of the game of hockey,"
For more information, to request a review copy or to schedule an interview with Alyssa Bormes, please contact Kevin Wandra (404-788-1276 or KWandra@CarmelCommunications.com) of Carmel Communications.
http://alyssabormes.com/ GA, 30075 US
Kevin Wandra - ,
The Catechism of Hockey, Alyssa Bormes, hockey, Catholic, Pope, Catholicism
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- CONOR GALLAGHER NAMED PUBLISHER OF TAN BOOKS AND SAINT BENEDICT PRESS
- Thérèse Drama Surprises Audiences
- Catholic Press Association Honors Liguori
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31