Researcher to Address Sexual Behavior and Catholic Thought
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (October 23, 2013) - Dr. Mark Regnerus, a sociology professor at the University of Texas at Austin and a researcher at the Population Research Center, will speak at Franciscan University of Steubenville on the impact of pre-marital sex, same-sex parenting, and other behaviors upon children, families, and society at large.
Regnerus' talk, "What Contemporary Sexual Behavior Patterns Reveal About the Mating Market and Catholic Thought," will take place on Thursday, November 7, at 7:30 p.m. in the Tony and Nina Gentile Gallery, J.C. Williams Center.
Dr. Daniel Kuebler, Franciscan University biology professor, said that Regnerus' talk will offer a social scientific perspective on the relationships between sexual behavior, modern sexual morality, and family structure. "He is someone who has been at the forefront of trying to systematically look at the effects of sexual morality on society, people, and relationships," said Kuebler.
Regnerus' research specializes in sexual behavior, family, and religious behavior. He has written widely on the effect of religion on teen sexual decision-making and the low value that young adults place on sexual morality. His new research on the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships was published in the July 2012 issue of Social Science Research and has garnered international attention. Regnerus is the author of Premarital Sex in America and Forbidden Fruit: Sex and Religion in the Lives of American Teenagers.
Franciscan University psychology professor Dr. Stephen Sammut will give a response to Regnerus' talk. A question-and-answer period will follow.
The talk is sponsored by the Academic Affairs Department and the Science and Faith Lecture Series, a joint effort of the biology, philosophy, and theology departments, dedicated to promoting an ongoing dialogue among the three disciplines. It is free and open to the public.
Regnerus' talk is part of the fall 2013 Distinguished Speakers Series at Franciscan University. Through the Distinguished Speakers Series, Franciscan University of Steubenville hosts leaders who integrate their faith and public life and thereby inspire the next generation to be a transforming presence in the Church and society.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Mark Regnerus
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- CONOR GALLAGHER NAMED PUBLISHER OF TAN BOOKS AND SAINT BENEDICT PRESS
- Thérèse Drama Surprises Audiences
- Catholic Press Association Honors Liguori
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31