Congressman James B. Renacci Endows Government Scholars Program at Walsh University Uses Personal F
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Congressman James B. Renacci Endows
Government Scholars Program at Walsh University
Uses Personal Funds to Engage the Next Generation of Public Servants
NORTH CANTON, OH (October 5, 2013) – Walsh University is pleased to announce the launch of the James B. Renacci Government Scholars Program. This unique scholarship and leadership program is designed to encourage the next generation of Americans to pursue a career in public service and is made possible through a personal gift from James Renacci. The inaugural event celebrating the establishment of the Renacci Government Scholars program is on Tuesday, October 15th at 7pm at Walsh University.
As the first person in his family to graduate from college, Congressman Renacci values higher education. “For me, this is an opportunity to support the next generation of government leaders by helping to provide scholarships for academics and internships.” Renacci, who is currently serving his second term representing the 16th Congressional District of Ohio, says he identifies deeply with the mission of Walsh University to educate leaders in service to others through a values-based education with an international perspective in the Judeo-Christian tradition. “I appreciate how the mission of Walsh and my Catholic faith intersect. The mission of Walsh empowers students to become leaders in service to the world,” Renacci said.
Through this program, the student’s within the Walsh University Government and Foreign Affairs major can apply for a scholarship for an internship or academics. For many students, the cost of pursuing internships can often be prohibitive. The funds from the Renacci Government Scholars program enables students to intern as public servants while residing in Washington D.C., or in a state capitol city—experiences they might not otherwise be able to afford.
For many young people, leaders such as Congressman James Renacci serve as a model of the importance of giving back to our community through service to the common good. “Engaging in government service requires a passion for serving the people and by understanding the role of government through internships and academics students can become involved and serve locally like I did,” Congressman Renacci said.
The program will help to fund several initiatives within the Walsh University Government and Foreign Affairs major:
• Scholarship funds for 2 students per year
o One scholarship will help underwrite a student internship in the area of Government and Foreign Affairs.
o One fund will help underwrite tuition for a student enabling the student to focus on their coursework.
• Each year, the endowed program will feature two keynote presentations, one from a leader in Government and Foreign Affairs and the second from a leading government and foreign affairs scholar.
• In addition, the Renacci Government Scholars Program will sponsor the “All Politics is Local” conference offering any higher education student an opportunity to present original papers regarding domestic, international and philosophic areas of political science and international relations
• Each year, the Government and Foreign Affairs program hosts the Washington D.C. Experience trip where students meet with leaders in government, Walsh alumni, and engage in international and domestic policy briefings.
• Finally, the Congressional papers and archives of Congressman James Renacci will be housed at Walsh University.
Walsh University is an independent, co-educational Catholic liberal arts and sciences institution that promotes academic excellence and diversity and provides close faculty-student interaction. It is dedicated to teaching its more than 3,000 students from 15 states and 31 countries to become leaders in service to others through a values-based education with an international perspective in the Judeo-Christian tradition
- 30 –
http://http://www.walsh.edu/ OH, 44720 US
Kelly A Campbell - Director of University Relations, 330.490.7296
Congressman Renacci, funds, Government Scholars Program, Walsh University
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Meet the enemy of big government: J.R.R. Tolkien
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- Pontiff and Prophet: Pope Paul VI predictions in On Human Life ring true throughout the world
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel
- Cardinal Raymond Burke: Synod’s mid-term report ‘lacks a solid foundation in the Sacred Scriptures'
- Little Sisters of the Poor Receive Franciscan University’s Poverello Medal