Richard Doerflinger on 'Freedom for Me But Not for Thee'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (November 30, 2012) - "What's at stake in the Church is the very idea of religious freedom as the ultimate human freedom," says Richard Doerflinger, associate director of Pro-Life Activities at the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Loss of freedom, he says, would prevent us from advancing the rights and freedoms of everyone in the world at large.
Speaking at Franciscan University of Steubenville on October 24, Doerflinger presented "Freedom for Me But Not for Thee: How 'Reproductive Rights' Is Threatening Freedom of Religion."
The lecture was sponsored by the Franciscan University of Steubenville Institute of Bioethics. Video excerpts of his talk can be found at FaithandReason.com. Go to "Channels," then "Toward a Culture of Life."
He addressed what he called "a very disturbing trend" in which one claim for individual freedom is actually expanding and mutating to the point where it is now on the verge of infringing on religious freedom.
"Up until very, very recently, we had a very strong consensus in this nation on the rights of faith-based groups to exempt themselves from things they have moral or religious objection to, so that everybody could equally serve the common good," he said.
Doerflinger has testified before the United States Congress, the National Bioethics Advisory Commission, the National Institutes of Health, and the President's Council on Bioethics on ethical issues involving human embryonic research. He has also contributed to many publications including the Hastings Center Report, the Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal, and the National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Richard Doerflinger, USCCB, Catholic bishops, pro-life, Franciscan University, religious freedom
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- 17 Cardinals and Counting
- 19th Annual Carnival Announced for St. Ann's Parish
- OCP Pledges to Support the V Encuentro
- The John Paul II International Film Festival Marks Its Five-Year Anniversary
- Thu, Sept 24, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian Our Lady of Grace Catholic Chu
- How do we live the truth in love when the culture says we're haters?
- Grief, Death, Eternal Life Explored in New Catholic Title by PBM
- Right Next to Disneyland: Theater Meets Faith
- OCP Parish Grant Program to Distribute $200,000 to U.S. Parishes
- Franciscan University Joins With UK School to Offer Online Master of Catechetics Degree