An Old Solution to a Perennial Problem: Widespread Private Property in Capital
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Restoration of Property: A Reexamination of a Natural Right
Economic Justice Media, ISBN: 978-0944997079, 136 pp. $10.00
ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA (September 3, 2012) - Economic Justice Media, an imprint of the Center for Economic and Social Justice, announces the release of THE RESTORATION OF PROPERTY: A REEXAMINATION OF A NATURAL RIGHT to present a possible solution to today's ongoing economic crises and social decay.
In 1936 Hilaire Belloc, with G. K. Chesterton revered as one of the founders of "distributism," wrote of "the restoration of property." Trapped within what Louis Kelso and Mortimer Adler called the slavery of past savings, however, Belloc's insightful analysis suffered from the lack of an effective program of implementation. The best he could do was to recommend burdening the rich with laws and regulations to keep them from using their power to prevent capital acquisition by others -- or just wait for the imminent collapse.
A better, "Just Third Way" solution that doesn't rely on a collapse of the world economy would be to remove systemic barriers in the form of flawed tax, monetary, financial and legal systems that inhibit or prevent capital acquisition by the non-rich. At a time when most people are focused on the results of seriously flawed tax, monetary and fiscal policy, and seek government assistance to stave off the effects of generations of bad decisions, this new book by Michael D. Greaney, Director of Research for the Center for Economic and Social Justice (CESJ), suggests a better alternative: focus on the causes of the growing wealth gap and other problems.
We need to take a hard look at our institutions, especially taxation, money and credit, and determine how these hinder access to the means of acquiring and possessing property in capital today, and what needs to be changed so they can help us rather than hinder us tomorrow. Mr. Greaney is also the author of IN DEFENSE OF HUMAN DIGNITY (2008) and SUPPORTING LIFE: THE CASE FOR A PRO-LIFE ECONOMIC AGENDA (2010)
Individual copies of THE RESTORATION OF PROPERTY may be purchased from Amazon and Barnes and Noble, as well as by special order from many bookstores. Bulk/Wholesale orders (10 copies or more) may be purchased directly from the publisher for 20% off the cover price, plus shipping. Please send an e-mail to publications [at] cesj [dot] org for details.
Center for Economic and Social Justice
http://just3rdway.blogspot.com/2012/08/distributist-classics-and-more.html VA, 22207 US
Michael Greaney - Director of Research, 7032435155
Distributism, Chesterton, Belloc, Justice, Property, Natural Law, Social Teaching
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over