From Lincoln Heights to the World
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Lay Mission-Helpers Association and Mission Doctors Association
John McKenna, LMH Executive Director
Elise Frederick, MDA Executive Director
3435 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1940
Los Angeles, CA 90010
www.LayMissionHelpers.org / www.MissionDoctors.org
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
(213) 368-1870 or (213) 368-1872 / Fax: (213) 368-1871
FROM LINCOLN HEIGHTS TO THE WORLD
Los Angeles, CA (August 8, 2012) - September 5th, 2012 marks the 100th birthday of a remarkable priest of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. A Mass in his memory will be held at Sacred Heart Parish at noon on that date. Msgr. Anthony Brouwers, who had served as the leader of the Propagation of the Faith in Los Angeles, attended the Marian Congress in Legos, Nigeria in 1954. After the conference was over, he traveled across Africa, seeking ways the people of Los Angeles could help the Church and its people.
Msgr. Brouwers met missionary priests doing construction, sisters without training pulling teeth, and Bishops busy with everything from bookkeeping to printing and organizing schools, hospitals, and more. They told Msgr. Brouwers something he did not expect, they said “We need help!” So he returned to Los Angeles and created a revolutionary idea: founding the Lay Mission-Helpers Association in 1955 to recruit, train, send and support Catholic lay people, single, married couples and families who would serve as teachers, nurses, accountants, engineers and more. In 1959, he founded Mission Doctors to train, send and support Catholic Doctors and their families as well. All this before Peace Corps, before Doctors without Borders, these were the first two programs created to make it possible for Catholic lay persons.
For more than 50 years, these two organizations have sent many hundreds of lay people who have served in 36 mission countries around the world, serving for three years and more, they go to live their faith and share their gifts.
You can visit the web sites of these two organizations to learn more: www.LayMissionHelpers.org / www.MissionDoctors.org
Also on this date, an addition to St. Martin de Porres Hospital in Njinikom, Cameroon will be dedicated as a Special Care Unit in Msgr. Brouwers and Dr. James Carey’s honor.
Lay Mission-Helpers and Mission Doctors Associations, founded in 1955 and 1959 by Msgr. Anthony Brouwers, assist Catholic professionals and their families in their desire to serve in mission. Since that time, lay missionaries have served in 36 countries around the world providing more than 2000 years of service to the Church ad gentes
Mission Doctors Association
http://www.missiondoctors.org CA, 90010 US
Elise Frederick - Executive Director, 213-368-1872
LMH, Lay Mission Helpers, MDA, Mission Doctors Association, Browers, John McKenna, Elise Frederick
Lay Orders & Ministries
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Paul Kengor to Speak on Principles of a Reagan Conservative
- Ukrainian Priest Speaks on ‘Revolution of Dignity,’ Transformation of Afflicted Country
- Cardinal Kasper's shocking theology of Catholic marriage
- Papal agency calls for protection of religious believers’ rights following invasion of Ukraine
- Akerman-Teixeira Duo Featured at Gaudium Musicae
- Veritas Conference to Discuss Threats to Religious Freedom
- Media and Faith Conference Slated for April
- NYC Thursday April 24th Spring Fling - Singles Mingle Charity Event
- PROVIDING LIFE-AFFIRMING PREGNANCY SUPPORT TO WOMEN LOWERS ABORTIONS IN PENNSYLAVNIA AGAIN!
- Andy LaVallee to Appear on The CatholicTV Network