‘Perpetual Help' Reaches 2 Million Friends
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DENVER, CO (June 12, 2012) - The Facebook page dedicated to Our Mother of Perpetual Help reached a milestone over the weekend: 2 million friends, making it one of the most popular Catholic pages on Facebook.
This milestone holds significant meaning for the Redemptorists of the Denver Province, the administrators of the page. Back in 1866, Pope Pius IX entrusted the original painting, which dates from the 1400s, to the order of Catholic priests and brothers based in Rome with the stipulation that “we make her known throughout the world.”
“We believe the Holy Father would be very pleased to see how we have delivered on his mandate over the past 145 years,” said Father Harry Grile, C.Ss.R., provincial superior of the Denver Province. The Redemptorists were founded in 1732 in Naples, Italy by St. Alphonsus Liguori.
The Redemptorist mother church in Rome, Sant’ Alfonso, has been home to the original icon since 1866. In 2016, Redemptorists worldwide will celebrate the sesquicentennial (150th) anniversary of receiving the icon from Pope Pius IX.
“We credit the page’s success and popularity not so much to what we’re doing but rather to the solace and comfort millions of Christians find in her beautiful image and in the messages contained in the icon,” said Brother Dan Korn, the iconologist for the province. Brother Dan is the traveling ‘face’ of the icon, conducting missions and talks around the country on the painting and its relevance for the modern world.
“If you love Our Mother of Perpetual Help, please make her known by asking people you know who could benefit from her friendship to go to www.maryprayforus.org/facebook and “like” Our Mother. You couldn’t ask for a better friend!” Father Grile said.
The Redemptorists are a religious congregation of Catholic priests and brothers founded by St. Alphonsus Liguori in 1732 in Naples, Italy. Presently, there are some 5,000 Redemptorists working for the poor and most abandoned in nearly every part of the world. Roughly 400 Redemptorist priests, brothers and students represent the Denver Province in much of the United States and in Brazil, Nigeria, and Thailand.
http://maryprayforus.org CO, 80231 US
Bruce Crane - ,
Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Icon, Redemptorists
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Ex corde Ecclesiae Symposium, March 5-6
- Tú Me Sostendrás Calls Listeners to a Stronger Relationship with God
- Marriage Equality and Marriage Reality
- Holy Spirit Catholic School Open House
- 100+ Priests & Deacons Gather in Rome for International Conference Confraternities of Catholic Clerg
- Honor y Gloria a Él Inspires with Songs of Hope and Adoration
- Catholic Clergy issue Joint Statement on Marriage
- March for Life 2015; Franciscan University Students Prepare the Celebrate 'Every Gift Is a Gift'
- Sacred Psalm Texts and Latin Rhythm Combine In New Bilingual Album
- Dr. Janet Smith the Present Catholic Teaching on Reproductive Technologies