Franciscan Graduates Largest Class Ever
"I had just started the explanation when the East German Colonel, Ronald Wunder, began to nod violently in agreement while saying, 'Ja, Ja, the Feast of Mary. December 8th," he said. "Turns out my Communist friend had been an altar boy in West Germany before his family migrated to the East for work."
General Hayden said that as they walked into the dining room, they were two military officers, one an American and one an East German, "reciting aloud in Latin the opening prayers of the Mass: Et introibo ad altare Dei; And I will go to the altar of God."
At the undergraduate commencement theology professor Dr. Scott Hahn was declared the inaugural Father Michael Scanlan, TOR, Chair of Biblical Theology and the New Evangelization for his contributions to Catholic biblical theology, to aid him in his work in the New Evangelization, and to remember Father Scanlan, who first brought him to the University.
"In recent years, Scott Hahn has become one of the most influential Catholic scholars in America because he knows how to make Scripture understandable and accessible," said Father Henry at the ceremony. "He also knows how to ignite a passion in Catholics for going deeper into the story of salvation history."
The top five states represented by the 2012 graduating class, in order, are Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, California, and Illinois. Graduates also hail from Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, India, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, and the Philippines.
The top 10 majors for the class of 2012 are theology, business, catechetics, education, philosophy, nursing, biology, history, mental health and human services, and English.
Complete audio and video of Bishop Serratelli's Baccalaureate speech and Baccalaureate Mass homily, as well as Dr. Hilliard and General Hayden's speeches, can be found at www.franciscan.edu/news/2012/Commencement-2012.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan, Steubenville, University, Graduation
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- NBA All-Star Helps Growing Ministry Launch Prayer Challenge
- Ex corde Ecclesiae Symposium, March 5-6
- Tú Me Sostendrás Calls Listeners to a Stronger Relationship with God
- Marriage Equality and Marriage Reality
- Holy Spirit Catholic School Open House
- 100+ Priests & Deacons Gather in Rome for International Conference Confraternities of Catholic Clerg
- Honor y Gloria a Él Inspires with Songs of Hope and Adoration
- Catholic Clergy issue Joint Statement on Marriage
- March for Life 2015; Franciscan University Students Prepare the Celebrate 'Every Gift Is a Gift'
- Sacred Psalm Texts and Latin Rhythm Combine In New Bilingual Album