Mount Carmel Youth Ranch: A Youth Ranch that uses Equine Therapy to teach Christian Ethics
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
POWELL, WY (January 23, 2012) - "Mount Carmel Youth Ranch has the most values and ethics of anywhere I have ever been," said John, a seventeen year old boy from Chicago. His time at Mt. Carmel Youth Ranch, a residential ranch program for struggling boys, has been a time to retreat from the bustle of society, and face his own struggles head on. "I was not interested in morals or ethics before I came here, but it really makes you think."
Mt Carmel Youth Ranch is a therapeutic residential ranch program that has been treating boys for over twenty years. The ranch in nestled just under the Rocky Mountains near Yellowstone National Park and boasts a 40,000 acre real working cattle ranch. How does it help at-risk boys? "By unfolding their minds as God created them," says director Tom George. "The ranch life teaches them self-discipline and maturity. Our effort is to teach them to take charge of their own struggles - and defeat them."
One way in which Mount Carmel Youth Ranch helps struggling teens is through equine therapy. "The horse helps the young man to determine and assist him in recognizing his problems and how to deal with them," says Susan George, director of equine therapy at Mt Carmel Youth Ranch. "During these lifestyle changes the horse plays an important role in the 'Real Life' therapy for the troubled youth." Several staff members MTCYR are certified in equine therapy, therapeutic horsemanship and riding safety. As a boy develops a relationship with his horse and is influenced by the virtuous environment of the ranch life, he becomes more responsible and interested in others rather than in himself. This is the essence of equine therapy.
The influence of the counselors and their guidance bring the boy to an experiential understanding of Christian ethics in a way that reason may not be able to attain. Mount Carmel Youth Ranch has found a way to help these boy turn their life around through horses, that a class room setting has not achieved.
http://www.mtcyraboutus.com/our_mission.php WY, 82435 US
Jay Peterson - ,
Youth Ranch, MTC, MTCYR, Mount Carmel Youth Ranch, Mt Carmel Youth Ranch
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RENEW International Staff to Attend International Meeting Pastoral Project of “Evangelii Gaudium” a
- Little Sisters of the Poor to Receive Franciscan University's Poverello Medal
- Is Pope Francis for real?
- 18th Annual Carnival at St. Ann’s Parish
- The CatholicTV Network to Broadcast Blue Mass for Public Safety Personnel with Cardinal Seán O'Malle
- Back-to-School Blog Tour Highlights Catholic Children’s Literature
- New York, NY: Sat Sep 27th NYC Catholic Professionals Mass & Social
- Celebrate Christmas in Harvard Square
- Divine Mercy Saint Drama Comes to Williamsburg, Virginia
- America's First-Pro-Life Half Marathon/5K Set for Nov. 9