Catholic Priest to Star in own Reality Show
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kardashian...The Situation...Father Steve?
LOS ANGELES, CA (December 27, 2011) - With a little help from on high - and the green light from a high-ranking TV executive - that third name might soon fit just right among pop culture icons mined from reality television.
That's because the Rev. Steve Porter of St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church and Derek Christopher of Lighthouse Blues Productions have spent the last year filming, editing and pitching a reality TV series tentatively titled "Divine Intervention with Father Steve" to big-time networks like A&E, History, Discovery, TLC, truTV and more.
Networks like A&E and truTV have taken discussions to the highest levels, but as the show waits for a green light from a network, Christopher has taken the project to the popular funding site Kickstarter to assist in shooting a new round of stories in January. "Our show is unusual in that we've signed three major production deals and have had every major cable network tell us they love the show, but they're all afraid of taking that final leap of faith of putting the show on the air." According to Christopher, anything with hint of religion is still considered taboo on mainstream television. However, with a backlog of stories waiting to be filmed, Christopher has decided to continue production independently as a 10-episode web series until a network television deal is confirmed.
The show has received widespread mainstream media attention including a feature story on NBC News in Los Angeles, a front-page article in The Sun newspaper (San Bernardino's biggest newspaper) and more.
Porter acknowledges that his methods may not endear him to Christian viewers who expect to hear only Bible-based preaching to the unconverted. In fact, Christopher says that the show has had such traction with network executives because, "It's not a religious show. It's an entertainment show that just happens to star a Catholic Priest." Father Steve adds, "The Bible is very important, but there's more to life than Scriptures. And I know evangelicals will go crazy when they hear me say that."
Perhaps. But that philosophy has driven Porter to allow Christopher total access to his ministry. They've filmed everything from man-on-the-street interviews to funerals and requests for home visits.
"I've said yeah, I'll come around," Porter said. "Can I bring a camera crew?"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/300439566/father-steve CA, 90290 US
Derek Christopher - , 310 980 2335
catholic, priest, reality tv, father steve, reality
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- RealOptions Presents Rachelís Vineyard Retreats
- Angels and Saints at Ephesus again No. 1 on Billboardís Classical Traditional Music Chart
- The CatholicTV Network to air Feature on the Fine Arts Summer Academy
- The CatholicTV Network to air Ordinations to the Priesthood for the Archdiocese of Boston
- Live Web Event with Scott Hahn
- New Book by IPS Brings together Psychologists, Theologians and Philosophers to 'Build the Bridge'
- Remembering Fr. Kapaun and all our fallen heroes on Memorial Day
- First U.S. Publisher to Speak at Canadian Catholic Schools Convention
- IPS Press Announces Last Book from the Late Benedict Ashley, O.P. A Culmination of His Life's Work
- Human cloning for stem cells remains unethical, impractical and dangerous