Mission Doctors Association Commemorates World AIDS Day
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Asking Catholics to mark World AIDS day by sending a Mission Doctor a prayer card.
LOS ANGELES, CA (November 30, 2011) - December 1, World AIDS Day provides an opportunity for members of the global community to raise awareness, commemorate those who have passed and celebrate victories in the fight against the AIDS epidemic. This year, Mission Doctors Association is asking Catholics around the country to send a prayer card to Mission Doctors serving in Africa, caring for thousands of HIV and AIDS patients.
Before the world recognized the impact HIV/AIDS would have, Mission Doctors were treating patients who were suffering with 'slims' disease. The global shortage of gloves in the 1980's, the initial fears of exactly how this was disease was spread, were witnessed by our doctors.
In 2001 when Dr. and Mrs. Stoughton returned to Zimbabwe after their initial service from 1970 - 1975 - HIV was the change the Dr. Stoughton noted that there had been progress over his 25 year absence with deep wells, improved sanitation, and universal immunization for childhood illnesses. However, HIV/AIDS, opportunistic TB and problems related to the nutritional had all but wiped out the advances.
Sending a prayer card is quick, easy and free. Visit the Mission Doctors website, www.MissionDoctors.org and click on the prayer card box in the right menu bar. Once you have written your prayer for Mission Doctors we will send them to our doctors in the field. Your prayers are encouragement for our doctors who are seeing first had the effects of the global AIDS epidemic.
For more information about Mission Doctors Association, please contact Executive Director, Elise Frederick. Photos and video are available on request. Visit www.MissionDoctors.org.
Mission Doctors Association, founded in 1959, assists Catholic Doctors and their families in their desire to serve mission hospitals and clinics. Since that time, Mission Doctors Association has assisted doctors serving in Africa, Papua New Guinea, Thailand and Latin America. Mission Doctors Association, through it's effort,s makes it possible for the faithful to become involved in Christ's mission to 'heal the sick'. On the web at www.missiondoctors.org. ###
Mission Doctors Association
http://www.MissionDoctors.org CA, 90010 US
Elise Frederick - Executive Director, 213-368-1872
Mission Doctors Association, MDA, World AIDS Day
Lay Orders & Ministries
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- OCP Pledges to Support the V Encuentro
- The John Paul II International Film Festival Marks Its Five-Year Anniversary
- Thu, Sept 24, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian Our Lady of Grace Catholic Chu
- How do we live the truth in love when the culture says we're haters?
- Grief, Death, Eternal Life Explored in New Catholic Title by PBM
- Right Next to Disneyland: Theater Meets Faith
- OCP Parish Grant Program to Distribute $200,000 to U.S. Parishes
- Franciscan University Joins With UK School to Offer Online Master of Catechetics Degree
- CONOR GALLAGHER NAMED PUBLISHER OF TAN BOOKS AND SAINT BENEDICT PRESS
- Thérèse Drama Surprises Audiences