Skip to content

LAWSUIT: Nevadans say they signed up - but received no health care coverage

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/3/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Lawsuit alleges gross negligence and failure to do due diligence

Right after the deadline for Affordable Health Care comes and goes, a group of Nevadans are now suing the state. According to the suit, the state of Nevada is guilty of gross negligence and failure to do due diligence. In short, they say that they signed up and paid their premiums - but were never given coverage.

As of this past weekend, 40,500 consumers had selected qualified health plans through the exchange. Of those, 24,000 had paid for coverage.

As of this past weekend, 40,500 consumers had selected qualified health plans through the exchange. Of those, 24,000 had paid for coverage.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
4/3/2014 (3 years ago)

Published in U.S.

Keywords: Nevada, lawsuit, affordable health care


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - One of the plaintiffs, Larry Basich says they signed up for state health insurance and paid premiums as far back as November, but was not covered following a January 3 triple bypass procedure that saw his $400,000 in medical expenses passed between the wrong insurance companies. The law firm of Callister & Associates filed the lawsuit on behalf of Basich.

The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange, which runs Nevada Health Link, and the company that won the contract to build the exchange, Xerox, are the defendants named in the suit.

Come light a candle for those who perished in the Fort Hood tragedy --

Four companies had responded with proposals to build the state's Obamacare exchange. Xerox won the bid after receiving the highest-score on a state criteria list ranging from financial stability to comparable contract experience.

The Nevada state government has since given the second-place company, Deloitte Consulting, a $1.5 million contract to fix the Nevada Health Link.

About 40 people had called saying they had also paid their insurance premiums but have no coverage. As of last week, the Nevada Health Link had a "pends" list totaling more than 10,500 people still without coverage.

Lea Swartley also claims to have received no coverage despite paying premium. She is the co-plaintiff in the lawsuit.

"There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Nevadans who have been paying premiums for 2, 3, 4 months, not receiving any coverage whatsoever," Attorney Matthew Callister says. He cited another instance where one patient had skin cancer and she can't go in to have her treatment because her doctor says, 'Who is your carrier?'"

As of this past weekend, 40,500 consumers had selected qualified health plans through the exchange. Of those, 24,000 had paid for coverage.

Callister told newspaper reporters that the lawsuit is not an attack on the Affordable Care Act or the state's insurance exchange.

"This has nothing to do with the ACA. This is 100 percent about Xerox, who won the bid from the state of Nevada to create this exchange. And they've failed. They absolutely failed," Callister says.

"I just want to get people covered who paid for coverage," Callister said. "State law said that's what's supposed to happen."

---


'Help give every student and teacher Free resources for a world-class moral Catholic education'


Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for SEPTEMBER 2017
Parishes.
That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.


Comments


More U.S.

Trump speech rocks the NFL, protests spread, but who's right? Watch

Image of Some players saluted, others protested during the playing of the national anthem at Sunday's football games.

A wave of protests has rocked the NFL and is spreading following President Trump's statement that players should stand for the national ... continue reading


Terrifying mass shooting at Nashville church leaves several injured (UPDATED) Watch

Image of Churchgoers were victims of a mass shooting at Burnette Chapel Church of Christ on Sunday, September 24, 2017.

A mass shooting at a Nashville church has left eight people injured, one fatally, Sunday morning. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading


We have unmasked the, foul-mouthed, liberal hypocrite Lawrence O'Donnell, and he is ugly Watch

Image of In the span of seconds, O'Donnell goes from fake jovial to surly as he is triggered by a technical glitch.

We have unmasked Lawrence O'Donnell for the lying, foul mouthed, hypocrite that he is. The fake-news reporting hypocrite has gone viral in ... continue reading


Officials: 'Evacuate or die' as Cat 5 Maria closes on Puerto Rico Watch

Image of Category 5 Maria strikes the Caribbean, while Jose spins off the East Coast of the USA, and a tropical storm develops off the coast of Africa.

"Evacuate or die," is the warning to residents of Puerto Rico as category 5 hurricane Maria churns towards the island territory. Maria has ... continue reading


Thug produces video that shows him lynching a child, YouTube responds by banning Bible readings Watch

Image of Racist thug, XXXTentacion in his latest mugshot for violent behavior. His video, which shows him lynching a child, has gone viral, earning him a payout from YouTube.

A rap artist has published a video that shows him lynching a child. The production is intended to support the Black Lives Matter movement, ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.