Skip to content
Catholic Online Logo

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

8/20/2012 (3 years ago)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

'Expecting us to go back to work is like an insult . many of our friends and colleagues are dead,' miner says

Miners at a South African platinum mine have been given 24 hours to return to work without repercussions. "After consultations with various labor representatives today, the company [Lonmin PLC] can also announce that those illegal strikers who did not return to work this morning will not be dismissed and have been allowed an extra day in light of current circumstances," Lonmin mine said in a statement.

The violence has been described by some analysts as one of the worst displays of state violence since apartheid ended in 1994.

The violence has been described by some analysts as one of the worst displays of state violence since apartheid ended in 1994.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

8/20/2012 (3 years ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: South Africa, riot, platinum mine, strike


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - These words ring hollow for many workers. Forty-four people have been killed in a week of violence as 259 arrested strikers have appeared in court for the first time.

"Expecting us to go back to work is like an insultĀ  ... many of our friends and colleagues are dead," a striking miner at the scene said.

Lonmin had initially ordered miners to return to work last week. After the shootings, the mine changed the deadline to Monday, Sue Vey, a company spokesperson, said.

Lonmin reported that almost one-third of the 28 000-strong workforce reported for their morning shifts, adhering to the company's initial deadline and allowing Lonmin, one of the world's largest primary producers of platinum, to resume partial operations.

After a week of protests in which ten people were killed, 34 strikers at Lonmin's Marikana mine were shot down by police on Thursday. Police said they acted in self defense.

The violence has been described by some analysts as one of the worst displays of state violence since apartheid ended in 1994.

The 259 miners who were arrested after the deadly police crackdown have since appeared in the Ga-Rankuwa court in Pretoria on charges ranging from murder to public violence.

Magistrate Esau Bodigelo ruled that all the men should remain in custody. Their next hearing was set for August 27.

Those on strike said that they were not sure what to do. "Because we work as a majority, if the majority goes back to work tomorrow I'm going too," Vuyisile Mchiza, a miner says. He added that "if the majority is not going back to work tomorrow, I'm not going either because I won't be able to go to work while others are sitting grieving."

A few of the miners left a group meeting and returned to a hill top saying that they will stay there until the demands are met, but left after police told them to vacate the area.

"They are threatening to return to the hill top and to camp out there until their demands are met," said an Al Jazeera correspondent.

.

---


Pope Francis: end world hunger through 'Prayer and Action'


Copyright 2015 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for April 2016
Universal:
Small Farmers: That small farmers may receive a just reward for their precious labor.
Evangelization: African Christians: That Christians in Africa may give witness to love and faith in Jesus Christ amid political-religious conflicts.



Comments


More Africa

#BringBackOurGirls: 219 of the Boko Haram kidnapped schoolgirls remain missing two years later Watch

Image of Boko Haram continues to persecute Christians and abduct girls as young as 8-years-old.

By Loredana Vuoto (CNA/EWTN News)

Two years ago, radical Islamists with the militant group Boko Haram stormed a school in Chibok, Nigeria, kidnapping 276 teen girls. The event initially sparked global outrage, with high-profile personalities taking pictures on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag, ... continue reading


Extremely young girls dreadfully raised and trained to become suicide bombers Watch

Image of Children as young as 8-years-old have been detonating bombs in schools and markets (Inquisitr).

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Boko Haram has reportedly initiated a child training camp to prepare kids as young as eight-years-old to kill as many innocents as possible - including themselves. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Humanitarian group UNICEF recently reported an increase in children ... continue reading


WATCH NOW: Boko Haram releases heartbreaking 'Proof of life' video featuring kidnapped Chibok girls Watch

Image of One of the Chibok girls spoke to the camera. It is the first time her family has seen her in two years.

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

When Boko Haram abducted over 200 school girls at gunpoint from a government school in Chibok, Nigeria, they made headlines across the globe. Since their abduction, there has been next to no word of their fate - until now. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Boko Haram ... continue reading


Young girls BEGGING to be suicide bombers to escape rape and starvation Watch

Image of Young girls are accepting suicide missions to escape sexual slavery and starvation (Irene Becker).

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Women and girls are kidnapped by Boko Haram militants every day - then are forced to marry the terrorists. They are then raped by numerous men each day. After a time of slowly dying from starvation, the weary girls plead to be suicide bombers to escape the agonizingly ... continue reading


'We can't trust any of them': Surviving Boko Haram sex slaves tell their terrifying stories (WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT) Watch

Image of Surviving women who were forced to become Boko Haram

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Two women, 15-year-old Halima and 25-year-old Hamsatu, speak of their captivity and forced marriages to Boko Haram men. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The women and girls used as sex slaves were as young as only 8-years-old and were forced to live in small ... continue reading


Biblical plague returns: Satellite images reveal blood-red Nile Watch

Image of Satellite images of the Nile bring to mind the Biblical plague (Pinterest).

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

A new image from European Space Agency's (ESA) Sentinel-3A satellite reveals a blood-red River Nile, reminiscent of the Biblical plague of Moses' time. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - According to Exodus 7:20, "Moses and Aaron did as the Lord ordered. He raised his ... continue reading


Nigeria uses Bible to block bill criminalizing violence against women Watch

Image of The Nigerian Senate voted against women's rights (Premium Times).

By Monique Crawford (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

On March 15, the Nigerian Senate voted against a bill that would have made violence against women and girls a criminal act - for the third time. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) -  The Gender Parity and Prohibition of Violence Against Women bill was thrown out ... continue reading


Archaeologists discover secret chambers in King Tut's tomb, but what's inside them? Watch

Image of There may be a secret chamber in King Tut's tomb.

By Marshall Connolly (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

In 1922, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of the young Egyptian King Tutankhamen. The discovery turned out to be the find of the century as it was the most intact tomb of a pharaoh ever discovered. Now, new research suggests the site could hold a whole new host of ... continue reading


Muslim terrorists hunt Christians on African beach, killing 5-year-old boy, and 15 others Watch

Image of A man stands over the body of one of the victims of the weekend assault.

By David Drudge (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Al Qaeda terrorists have slaughtered Christians in their latest attack in the Ivory Coast, killing 16 people, mostly vacationers, at a tranquil African resort. One child was spared only because he was able to recite an Islamic prayer. LOS ANGELES, CA (California ... continue reading


Military has presented secret plans to destroy ISIS in Libya Watch

Image of The military is ready to strike a crippling blow to ISIS in Libya, but Obama seems reluctant to use the option.

By David Drudge (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

The U.S. military is ready to strike ISIS in Libya, very hard. According to Pentagon insiders, the military has prepared detailed plans for President Obama to bomb between 30 and 40 targets in Libya on his orders. LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - Allied forces ... continue reading


All Africa News

Newsletters

Newsletter Sign Up icon

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers

Subscribe to Catholic OnlineYouTube Channel

the FEED
by Catholic Online

Daily Readings

Reading 1, Acts 16:11-15
11 Sailing from Troas we made a straight run for Samothrace; the next day ... Read More

Psalm, Psalms 149:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 9
1 Alleluia! Sing a new song to Yahweh: his praise in the assembly of the ... Read More

Gospel, John 15:26--16:4
26 When the Paraclete comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, ... Read More

Saint of the Day

Saint of the Day for May 2nd, 2016 Image

St. Athanasius
May 2: St. Athanasius, the great champion of the Faith ... Read More