Did Pope Francis just refer to the Virgin Mary as a 'couch potato?!'
Pope Francis used the term "couch potato" while speaking about the Virgin Mary. Why did he say something like that?
Did Pope Francis call the Virgin Mary a couch potato?
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- Pope Francis spoke to millennials during a talk in March preparing for the World youth Day celebrations in Panama, 2019. In the talk he mentioned the Virgin Mary and explained she "encourages us with her faith."
Pope Francis referred to her as the "Mighty One," and credited her for the great things she has done.
So why did he mention the phrase "couch potato" when speaking of her?
It turns out, he was referring to her life of service. Specifically, he mentioned when she chose to remain with Elizabeth, who was pregnant with Christ's cousin, John the Baptist.
Mary, he said, "set off to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was old and needed her to be close by. Mary did not stay home because she was not a young couch potato who look for comfort and safety where nobody can bother them. She was moved by faith because faith is at the heart of Our Mother's entire life story."
In other words, Pope Francis was speaking to millennials, challenging them to go out, motivated by their faith, to show love to others.
"You can improve the world and leave an imprint that makes a mark on history, your history and that of many others," Pope Francis said.
Pope Francis also told the youth that the Church needs them and their enthusiasm, saying their efforts can create a "less cruel, more human world."
Finally, Pope Francis suggested people speak to Mary like a mother, and that it is okay to cultivate a spirit of familiarity and friendship with Our Lady. Speak to her, he said, "as you would to a mother."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, June 30th, 2017 HD Video
- Mafia responds to Pope Francis' suggestion they be excommunicated HD ...
- Waymo announces self driving trucks, industry close to shifting
- ISIS sex slave forced to EAT her COOKED one-year-old BABY
- St. Peter: Saint of the Day for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Could man who destroyed Ten Commandments monument be possessed?
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 29th, 2017 HD
- Terrorists using Christians as sex slaves and human shields in the Philippines HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD