Did Pope Francis just refer to the Virgin Mary as a 'couch potato?!'
Pope Francis used the term "couch potato" while speaking about the Virgin Mary. Why did he say something like that?
Did Pope Francis call the Virgin Mary a couch potato?
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- Pope Francis spoke to millennials during a talk in March preparing for the World youth Day celebrations in Panama, 2019. In the talk he mentioned the Virgin Mary and explained she "encourages us with her faith."
Pope Francis referred to her as the "Mighty One," and credited her for the great things she has done.
So why did he mention the phrase "couch potato" when speaking of her?
It turns out, he was referring to her life of service. Specifically, he mentioned when she chose to remain with Elizabeth, who was pregnant with Christ's cousin, John the Baptist.
Mary, he said, "set off to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was old and needed her to be close by. Mary did not stay home because she was not a young couch potato who look for comfort and safety where nobody can bother them. She was moved by faith because faith is at the heart of Our Mother's entire life story."
In other words, Pope Francis was speaking to millennials, challenging them to go out, motivated by their faith, to show love to others.
"You can improve the world and leave an imprint that makes a mark on history, your history and that of many others," Pope Francis said.
Pope Francis also told the youth that the Church needs them and their enthusiasm, saying their efforts can create a "less cruel, more human world."
Finally, Pope Francis suggested people speak to Mary like a mother, and that it is okay to cultivate a spirit of familiarity and friendship with Our Lady. Speak to her, he said, "as you would to a mother."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
by Catholic Online
- Bioscience firms admit trafficking illegal fetal body parts - How ...
- St. John of the Cross: Saint of the Day for Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Pope Francis: Our Lady reveals everyone has a place in the Church
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 15th, 2017 HD Video
- NO, you may NOT venerate the apparitions in Medjugorje
- Daily Readings for Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Could it be an alien spacecraft? Scientists listening today for ...
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, December 14th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 HD
- Attempted terror attack fails in Manhattan as pipe bomb explodes early HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way