Did Pope Francis just refer to the Virgin Mary as a 'couch potato?!'
Pope Francis used the term "couch potato" while speaking about the Virgin Mary. Why did he say something like that?
Did Pope Francis call the Virgin Mary a couch potato?
LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- Pope Francis spoke to millennials during a talk in March preparing for the World youth Day celebrations in Panama, 2019. In the talk he mentioned the Virgin Mary and explained she "encourages us with her faith."
Pope Francis referred to her as the "Mighty One," and credited her for the great things she has done.
So why did he mention the phrase "couch potato" when speaking of her?
It turns out, he was referring to her life of service. Specifically, he mentioned when she chose to remain with Elizabeth, who was pregnant with Christ's cousin, John the Baptist.
Mary, he said, "set off to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was old and needed her to be close by. Mary did not stay home because she was not a young couch potato who look for comfort and safety where nobody can bother them. She was moved by faith because faith is at the heart of Our Mother's entire life story."
In other words, Pope Francis was speaking to millennials, challenging them to go out, motivated by their faith, to show love to others.
"You can improve the world and leave an imprint that makes a mark on history, your history and that of many others," Pope Francis said.
Pope Francis also told the youth that the Church needs them and their enthusiasm, saying their efforts can create a "less cruel, more human world."
Finally, Pope Francis suggested people speak to Mary like a mother, and that it is okay to cultivate a spirit of familiarity and friendship with Our Lady. Speak to her, he said, "as you would to a mother."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Mother shares heartbreaking photo of her dying daughter as she pulls ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- St. Helena: Saint of the Day for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Pope Francis calls for prayers following terror attacks in Spain, Finland
- New Jersey Mayor dismantles shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe
- holy spirit
- morning prayer
- Saint Elizabeth
- St. Augustine
- Saint Anne
- st agnes
- saint monica
- saint catherine
- Saint Lucy
- saint clare
- saint rose
- st rose of lima
- immaculate conception
- st augustine
- st monica
- saint of the day
- St. Elizabeth
- john bosco
- st catherine
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD