When You Get Off Facebook Read MY Book
What will you do with all your free time?
This past Monday morning as I was taking my normal route to work something caught my eye. A church I always pass by had changed out the sign in their front yard. The message read: WHEN YOU GET OFF FACEBOOK READ MY BOOK.
I have a love-hate relationship with social media. Communication with people from all stages of my life is at my fingertips because of social media. That's the love part. On the contrary, social media is a gigantic time-suck. It often distracts me from doing things with greater purpose and from being present in the moment. We can't possibly give every person we know the same amount of attention, therefore, those we are more intimate with deserve more time and attention. Social media spreads us so thin with our relationships as we strive to give more and more people a bigger slice of our time. Unfortunately, it usually does what the attached video titled, I Forgot My Phone, depicts.
Enjoy reading the Bible on your tablet.
Those are the effects to our human relationships, but what then does social media do to our relationship with God? It steals our time with Him. It sucks us in and slowly pulls us farther and farther away from God. It's happened with me. I often consider getting rid of it all together, but have not yet pulled the trigger. The irony of me posting this blog via social media as well is not lost on me. My blog just happens to be the major reason I have not said goodbye to social media altogether. I AM able to make a change though. This week I completely removed my social media apps from my phone. Instead of instantly being notified of the messages I receive, I now have to be intentional about when and how I use my time to check my social media accounts. It's been quite a relief. It's rather funny how social media tends to shackle and chain us. Without it's constant presence, I feel so much FREEDOM.
What will you do, to choose HIS book over Facebook?
Share with me all the creative ways y'all choose to limit your screen-time - I want to hear what works for you!
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Blog News
- Deep Reading; There are a lot of ways to come to Scripture.
- Mr. Sandman, bring me a...Nightmare?
- Ten Easy Secrets to Staying Young and Living Longer.
- It was Different back then, Dad!
- Beware...Teenagers in the House!
- Can You See your Faith through Wispy Clouds?
- Let This be the Year that you Claim Advent for the Season of Hope and Expectation that It is!
- Advent is a time of joyful anticipation.
- Just Picture Yourself in a Quiet Church, Now ponder Jesus, the Good Shepherd.
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?