Church Profile: New York State
The Church in New York State is as diverse and multicultural as any in the world, and contributes immensely to the spiritual life of the state, as well as being the largest non-governmental provider of health care, human services and education. Catholics represent the largest single religious faith in New York, numbering approximately 7.3 million out of a population of 18 million.
The Church in New York State is made up of eight dioceses, which are geographic areas under the spiritual leadership of a diocesan bishop. They are the Archdiocese of New York and the Dioceses of Albany, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Ogdensburg, Rochester, Syracuse and Rockville Centre.
Encompassing these eight dioceses are some 1,700 parishes, 800 elementary and secondary schools, 40 hospitals, 60 nursing homes, hundreds of Catholic Charities agencies and countless parish-based ministries. Some statistics on the work of the Church in New York State are below:
The Catholic Church has been educating children in New York State for more than 200 years, providing a quality, values-based education and hope for a brighter future to children regardless of income, race, ethnicity or religious beliefs.
- 715 elementary schools
- 129 high schools
- 15,300 teachers
- 301,000 pre-K, elementary, and secondary students
- 457,900 Catholic public school students enrolled in parish catechetical programs
The Catholic Charities statewide network serves persons of all faiths, colors and income categories through a multitude of agencies. More than 1.3 million individuals are provided help each year.
- Shelter and housing... 15,600 people served
- Food pantries and kitchens... 660,500 people served
- Clothing... 22,700 people served
- Adoption... 3,900 people served
- Pregnancy care... 18,400 people served
- Immigrant assistance... 14,000 people served
- Social supports... 134,700 people served
- Mental health and addiction counseling... 153,700 people served
- Foster care... 29,800 people served
- Care for the abused... 1,700 people served
Catholic healthcare institutions provide holistic health services in an atmosphere of respect for the value and dignity of all human life, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable.
- 40 hospitals (10, 900 beds)
- 400,000 inpatient admissions
- 1 million emergency room visits
- 4.4 million outpatient visits
- $268 million in uncompensated care
- 61 nursing homes (10,400 beds)
- 3.8 million resident days
- 7 hospice programs -- 6,500 admissions
- 22 certified home health agencies
- 3 licensed home health agencies
- 13 long-term home health care programs
- 75,000 Medicaid and Child Health Plus enrollees in FidelisCare New York, the statewide Catholic managed care plan
The Catholic parishes of New York State provide valuable ministries to countless New Yorkers in need every day.
- Visits to those imprisoned, hospitalized and homebound
- Food pantries and other emergency help
- Assistance to those in need of shelter, utilities and clothing
- Care for pregnant women and their children
- Hospice volunteers
- Resettlement assistance for refugees
- Job banks and employment programs
- Bereavement support groups
- Legislative advocacy
- Voter education and registration
http://www.catholic.org CA, US
Catholic Online - Publisher, 661 869-1000
Church, New York, State, Catholic, Conference
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Saturday, November 25, 2017
- Over 200 worshipers killed during Friday prayer in BRUTAL terrorist ...
- St. Catherine of Alexandria: Saint of the Day for Saturday, November ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 27th, 2017 HD Video
- 'A Sad Decision': Vatican officials criticize President Trump's ...
- Hope and Peace: Persecuted Christians are asked to look to the Sign ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Will 2018 be the year the Big One hits California? The news media makes a shocking claim HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, November 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, November 24th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way