Statement of Jewish-Catholic Meeting in Jerusalem
"Freedom of Religion Must Be Guaranteed to Both Individuals and Communities"
JERUSALEM, JULY 13, 2005 - Here is the statement issued by the Bilateral Commission Meeting of the Delegation of the Holy See's Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews and the Chief Rabbinate of Israel's Delegation for Relations with the Catholic Church. The meeting was held here June 26-28.
* * *
I. The opening evening was graced by the presence of the Rishon L'Zion, Rabbi Shlomo Moshe Amar, Chief Rabbi of Israel, who expressed his fervent support for the dialogue to emphasize profound shared values of the two Traditions, while not ignoring the distinctions that make us different faith communities. Above all, the purpose of the dialogue is to promote the principles of sanctity and dignity of all human beings and to advance our cooperation for these goals.
In their welcome, the heads of the respective delegations, Chief Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen and Cardinal Jorge Mejía expressed their profound satisfaction at the depth of understanding and friendship that had developed through the meetings of the bilateral committee.
II. Opening the deliberations -- as this was the first meeting since the passing of Pope John Paul II of blessed memory -- the chairmen made special mention of his historic contribution to Catholic-Jewish reconciliation and to the fact that this bilateral committee was the fruit of his initiative. Cardinal Mejía noted in addition, the remarkable reference to the former Chief Rabbi of Rome in Pope John Paul II's will. Appreciation was expressed for the commitment to continue to promote these bilateral relations, on the part of his successor Pope Benedict XVI.
III. The theme of this fifth meeting was "The Relationship between Religious and Civil Authority in the Jewish and Christian Traditions." Based on the Biblical vision of the distinct roles of Priest, Prophet and King, as well as their respective relationships with the people of God, the following key points were made:
1. Religious values are crucial for the well-being of the individual and society
2. The purpose of civil authority is to serve and provide for the welfare of the people through respecting the life and dignity of every individual
3. While emphasizing the importance of democracy in this regard, at the same time it is essential to legally protect society from extreme individualism, exploitation by vested interest groups and insensitivity to the cultural and moral values of religious tradition
4. Freedom of religion must be guaranteed to both individuals and communities by the religious and civil authorities
5. The relationship between religion and the State must be based on reciprocity, mutual respect and cooperation
6. Legislation for the promotion of particular religious values is legitimate when done in harmony with the principles of human rights
7. We have an ethical obligation to demonstrate religious responsibility in these regards, and especially to educate future generations through engaging media opinion makers as well as through conventional educational channels
IV. Discussion focused on the responsibility of the State to guarantee the rights of all religious communities giving special attention to the situation and needs of the Christian communities in the Holy Land, as well as the needs of Jewish communities around the world, facilitating full social and political equality without undermining particular identities.
Jerusalem, June 28th 2005 -- 21 Sivan 5765
The Jewish Delegation
Chief Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen
Chief Rabbi Rasson Arussi
Chief Rabbi David Brodman
Chief Rabbi Yossef Azran
Chief Rabbi David Rosen
Mr. Oded Wiener
Amb. Shmuel Hadas
The Catholic Delegation
Jorge Cardinal Mejía
Georges Cardinal Cottier, O.P.
Bishop Giacinto-Boulos Marcuzzo
Archimandrite Elias Chacour
Msgr. Pier Francesco Fumagalli
Father Norbert Hofmann, SDB
Nuncio Pietro Sambi
http://www.catholic.org CA, US
Catholic Online - Publisher, 661 869-1000
Jewish, Catholic, Jerusalem, Freedom, Religion, Jews, Israel
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- Day 2 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- President Trump to release Kennedy assassination files - will the ...
- Pope Francis speaks about putting God first and reality
- EVIL EXPORT: American-inspired assisted suicide legislation advances ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, October 23, 2017
- Day 1 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- St. John of Capistrano: Saint of the Day for Monday, October 23, 2017
- Evil money - George Soros pays to start a revolution in America HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, October 23rd, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way